History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Courtfield

A Grade II Listed Building in Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8845 / 51°53'4"N

Longitude: -2.0458 / 2°2'44"W

OS Eastings: 396946

OS Northings: 220663

OS Grid: SO969206

Mapcode National: GBR 2MC.ZHP

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.HWBP

Entry Name: Courtfield

Listing Date: 14 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386629

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474025

Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Civil Parish: Charlton Kings

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Listing Text


CHARLTON KINGS

SO9620NE LONDON ROAD
630-1/34/83 (North East side)
14/12/83 Nos.336 AND 338
Courtfield

II

House, now flats. 1819-20. By John Tinings, late C19 wing to
left added for Dr Conolly's asylum. Brick with stucco facades,
slate roof and iron verandah.
PLAN: 2 storeys with basement to returns and rear, 3
first-floor windows and with range to left of 2 storeys with
basement, 2 first-floor windows.
EXTERIOR: main range has Tuscan pilasters between windows. 6/6
sashes with margin-lights throughout in plain reveals and with
blind boxes to first floor, windows to ground floor are
larger. Central entrance a 4-panel door between margin-lights
and with continuous overlight. Wide eaves, hipped roof, end
and rear stacks with cornices. Ground floor has continuous
verandah to front and right return with scrolls to uprights,
diamond-lattice frieze and scrolls to balustrade. Wing to left
has 6/6 sashes.
Rear: main floor has 2/2 long-pane sashes in elliptically
arched recess, cornices on consoles; individual balustrades
with circle motif; 6/6 sashes to first floor.
INTERIOR: of main range: open-well staircase has rod on fluted
column balusters and wreathed handrail. 6-panel doors. To rear
room: columns to architrave, elaborate cornice and marble
Regency fireplace.
HISTORICAL NOTE: sold in 1853 by Revd Gabb to John Bubb.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 121; Paget M (ed), Charlton
Kings Local History Society: A History of Charlton Kings:
Gloucester: 1988-: 65).


Listing NGR: SO9694620663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.