This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8942 / 51°53'38"N
Longitude: -2.0317 / 2°1'54"W
OS Eastings: 397915
OS Northings: 221734
OS Grid: SO979217
Mapcode National: GBR 2MD.94G
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.QNS9
Plus Code: 9C3VVXV9+M8
Entry Name: Glenfall House
Listing Date: 14 December 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386643
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474039
Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL54
Civil Parish: Charlton Kings
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO92SE MILL LANE
630-1/2/98 (East side (off))
14/12/83 Glenfall House
House, c1770; rebuilt in brick c1799-1808 for Charles Higgs in
'cottage ornee' style; extended c1830-40 for Lieut Gen John
Molyneaux; remodelled and extended (library, drawing room,
dining room and ballroom) for Arthur Mitchell (of Mitchell and
Butler's Breweries of Birmingham) by Sydney Barnsley c1923 and
work executed by Peter Waals. Render over brick with ashlar
dressings to garden facade and concealed slate roof; 3 stacks
EXTERIOR: entrance front: 2 storeys, 8 first-floor windows.
Left end, 2-window range breaks forward and has Doric
pilasters to angles and pediment; first-floor band. First
floor has 6 x 8/8 sashes and 2/2 sash, right end window is
blind. Ground floor: off-centre right entrance in 1920's
doorcase: 6-panel door between 2 x 4/4 sashes, projecting hood
on acanthus brackets, acanthus modillion frieze. Mainly 8/8
and 6/6 sashes, 10/10 sash and tripartite 6/6 between 2/2
sashes; right end blind. Garden (south) facade: 2 storeys, 6
first-floor windows. Ground floor projects and has central
canted bay and is surmounted by balustrade with small bulbous
balusters. First floor has Doric pilasters between windows,
frieze and cornice, blocking course. 3 x 6/6 sashes, otherwise
French windows. Ground floor: flight of steps to double
central glazed doors with divided overlight; similar doors to
left, otherwise 1- and 2-light mullion and transom windows,
with shaped stone mullions and quoined surrounds. East return
has C19 bow window to first floor with casement windows curved
on plan; 2 full-height bows with mock sashes and pilasters
between windows flanking 3-window centre.
INTERIOR: Colebrookdale tile floor to hallway. Stained oak
panelled library with built-in bookcases; ballroom with sprung
floor has pair of short scagliola pillars with Ionic capitals,
brought from North Africa to Leylam Abbey. to drawing room
(now chapel) a C19 carved white marble fireplace; otherwise
pine fireplaces of c1920s. The furniture included much by
Peter Waals (some now in Cheltenham Museum). The top storey
was removed after its sale in 1965.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally named 'Gutterfall', the name was
changed to 'Glenfall' by 1817. The property was mortgaged by
the Higgs family to a series of tenants and purchased in 1819
by Edward Iggulden of Deal who improved the grounds. It passed
to his daughter, Mary and her husband Lieutenant General John
Molyneaux who extended the house and built Glenfall Lodge
(qv). An engraving of the cottage ornee is included in
Griffiths' 1826 New Historical Description of Cheltenham ...,
however little trace of this house survives.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 122; Charlton Kings
Local History Society Bulletin: 1984-: 10-14).
Listing NGR: SO9790021700
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings