History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose Gate

A Grade II Listed Building in Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8941 / 51°53'38"N

Longitude: -2.0313 / 2°1'52"W

OS Eastings: 397944

OS Northings: 221724

OS Grid: SO979217

Mapcode National: GBR 2MD.97S

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.RN0C

Entry Name: Rose Gate

Listing Date: 7 October 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1426706

Location: Charlton Kings, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL54

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Civil Parish: Charlton Kings

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Charlton Kings St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Cheltenham

Summary


Garden gate, known as Rose Gate, 1920s. Attributed to the Arts and Crafts architect and craftsman Norman Jewson.

Description

Garden gate, known as Rose Gate, 1920s. Attributed to the Arts and Crafts architect and craftsman Norman Jewson.

MATERIALS: the gate is made of cast and wrought iron.

DESCRIPTION: positioned within the yew hedge between the south and east garden, the rectangular pedestrian gate is set within a decorative iron frame with supporting brackets to its west and east face. The gate is divided into two sections: the lower section has stick balusters with each alternate baluster including a twisted section to its mid-point; the upper section has a central decorative panel which includes roses, rose leafs, inverted arises and scrollwork. The frame is similarly divided and the lower section repeats the design of the lower part of the gate. The upper section of the frame and the horizontal section above the gate, has a central baluster with inverted arises and a rose to its mid-point. To either side is a stick baluster with three twisted sections. At each of the top corners of the frame is a scrolled floral motif comprising a central rose and rose leaf detail.

History

In 1920 the Glenfall House estate, which was designed as a Picturesque landscape in the early C19, was purchased by the brewer Arthur Mitchell of Birmingham’s Mitchell and Butlers Ltd. Mitchell was an admirer of the Arts and Crafts Movement and he employed Sydney Barnsley, Norman Jewson and Peter Waals to extend and furnish the house, and to create the terraced gardens to the west of the house, with the orchard beyond. In 1929 the south wing was added to the house by Healing & Overbury (Sydney Barnsley having died in 1926) and the adjacent paddock was included in the garden as a sloping lawn with vegetable garden beyond. The decorative iron gates which comprise the Tulip Gate located in the yew hedge between the north forecourt and the west garden, and the Rose Gate located in the yew hedge between the south garden and the east garden, appear to have been added in the 1920s as part of these works. Both gates are attributed to the Arts and Crafts architect and craftsman, Norman Jewson (1884-1975). There is no documentation confirming that Jewson designed the gates but many sources attribute them to him, including an exhibition catalogue from 1987 and the ‘Gazetteer of Arts and Crafts Architecture in the Cotswold Region’ produced by Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museums in 1992.

Arthur Mitchell owned the house until his death in 1965, after which the house was sold to a Martin Crabbe. Crabbe remodelled the house and sold the Arts and Crafts furniture designed by Peter Waals. In 1980 the house and part of the grounds were bought by the Community of St Peter and St Paul, and in 1991 the community gifted the estate to the Diocese of Gloucester. The house and the gardens were subsequently restored by the Glenfall House Trust. The house was opened as a conference centre in 1992.

Reasons for Listing

The Rose Gate at Glenfall House, an iron gate of the 1920s, attributed to the Arts and Crafts architect and craftsman Norman Jewson, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: as a good example of Norman Jewson’s characteristic metalwork, displaying a mannered naturalistic floral design with good quality workmanship;
* Historic interest: as a key component of the formal terraced gardens created at Glenfall House by the Arts and Crafts architects, Norman Jewson and Sydney Barnsley, for its owner Arthur Mitchell in the 1920s;
* Group value: together with the Tulip Gate it has considerable group value with Glenfall House (Grade II) and its registered park and garden (Grade II) to which it makes an important contribution.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.