History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops)

A Grade II Listed Building in Moseley and Kings Heath, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4542 / 52°27'15"N

Longitude: -1.8858 / 1°53'8"W

OS Eastings: 407855

OS Northings: 284033

OS Grid: SP078840

Mapcode National: GBR 63L.J3

Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.8KDZ

Entry Name: Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops)

Listing Date: 27 April 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386758

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474157

Location: Birmingham, B12

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Moseley and Kings Heath

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Moseley St Anne

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM MOSELEY ROAD (East side)
12/10186 Old Tram Depot
(West Midlands Travel
Engineering Workshops)
GV II
Includes: Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops). TRAFALGAR ROAD
Former tram shed. now disused. 1906, with mid C20 alterations. Possibly by FB Osborn, who designed the adjacent office range. For Birmingham Corporation Tramways. Red brick with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with clerestories. Baroque Revival style. Plinth. rusticated pilasters, cornice, pierced balustrade. Single storey. 6 x 9 bays. Windows, mainly boarded, are wooden framed cross casements with glazing bars. Entrance front, to Moseley Road, has elliptical arches with rusticated ashlar heads and double keystones under a continuous cornice. 3 ramped, coped gables, each containing a Oiocletian window with multiple keystones and a round window above, under a pediment. Intermediate pilasters have segmental pediments. In the centre, a narrow recess with a sculpted coat of arms, and to its left, a blank arch containing a roL d arched window. Beyond. on each side, 2 larger arches, one to left blocked, the remainder with rounder-shutter doors. To right again, a smaller blank arch with round headed window. Right return, to Trafalgar Road, has similar architectural treatment. 3 projecting bays, each with pediment and pilasters, containing a tall window, with a Oiocletian window above the cornice. Intermediate bays, divided by pilasters with segmental pediments, each contain 2 round-headed windows. The other sides of the building are common brick, blank. INTERIOR: Mainly lined with white glazed brick, and brown glazed brick dado. Angle-iron truss roof and clerestories, carried on lengthwise lattice girders and rivetted I-section stanchions. Additional single storey internal offices on Trafalgar Road side, mid C20. The tram shed was part of a showpiece service depot for a revitalised tram service begun in Jan. 1907. As part of a scheme of promotional architecture, it received more elaborate architectural treatment than other depots, though its form and construction were similar. The tram shed was adapted for use by buses in 1949, and closed in 1975.


SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM TRAFALGAR ROAD (North side)
12/10186 Old Tram Depot
(West MidlandsTravel
Engineering Workshops)
GV II
See under: Old Tram Depot (West Midlands Travel Engineering Workshops), MOSELEY ROAD


Listing NGR: SP0785584033

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.