This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8979 / 51°53'52"N
Longitude: -2.0741 / 2°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 394995
OS Northings: 222156
OS Grid: SO949221
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Y68
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0KBD
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXG+58
Entry Name: Selby Lodge and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386773
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474172
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE CAMBRAY PLACE
630-1/13/223 (South East side)
Selby Lodge and attached railings
Villa, now offices, and attached railings. c1810-1820: shown
on the Post Office Map of 1820, with later additions including
c1980s range to rear. Brick with ashlar facades and slate
roof, end stacks; iron railings and window box. Double depth
plan with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement, 5 first-floor windows, with
single-storey on basement, single bays to ends. Stucco
detailing includes end pilasters to main range; first-floor
band with Greek key motif; central breakforward. Ground floor
has 6/6 sashes, otherwise 3/3 sashes to first floor and 3/6
sashes to basement; all in plain reveals and with sills.
Central entrance: flight of roll-edged steps to
6-fielded-panel door between pilaster strips with sidelights
and fluted frieze; fanlight with decorative radial glazing. To
rear: semicircular window to first floor with decorative
INTERIOR: embellished cornices including acanthus cornice with
Greek key motif to ceiling frieze; doors with tooled
architraves and rosettes to corners, 6-fielded-panel doors,
one curved on section. Open-well staircase has stick balusters
with wrought-iron scroll embellishments and wreathed handrail.
Some original marble fireplaces. Shutters have embellished
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to sides of steps and to ends of
main range; door has hand-and-wreath knocker; window boxes to
ground floor at rear.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cambray Place was laid out as an avenue
leading to Cambray House, at one time rented by the Duke of
Wellington but since demolished and replaced by a mid-C20
block of flats.
Listing NGR: SO9499422156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings