History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 23, 24 and 25 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8981 / 51°53'53"N

Longitude: -2.0739 / 2°4'26"W

OS Eastings: 395009

OS Northings: 222177

OS Grid: SO950221

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.Y7H

Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.0KG8

Plus Code: 9C3VVWXG+6C

Entry Name: Numbers 23, 24 and 25 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1386774

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474173

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham St Luke and St John

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


630-1/14/224 (South East side)
12/03/55 Nos.23, 24 AND 25
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(South side)
Nos.23 AND 24)
(Formerly Listed as:
(South side)


Terrace of 3 houses, now offices and flats, and attached
railings. c1810-1820: shown on Post Office Map of 1820. Brick
with ashlar facade and slate roof, brick end and party-wall
stacks; cast- and wrought-iron railings and balconies to Nos
24 and 25. Double depth plan with service range to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with basement, 9 first-floor windows.
Floor bands; frieze, cornice and blocking course. 6/6 sashes,
taller to first floor and 3/3 sashes to second floor. Flights
of roll-edged steps to left entrances: 6-panel doors with
lattice frieze and fanlights with decorative glazing.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to sides of steps to Nos 23 and
24 have stick balusters. First-floor balconies to Nos 24 and
25 have rods embellished with central flower, and fleur-de-lys
motif with inset scrolled panels. Blind boxes to first-floor
windows of No.24.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Cambray Place was laid out as an avenue
leading to Cambray House, at one time rented by the Duke of
Wellington but since demolished and replaced mid C20 by a
block of flats.
No.25 listed 5.5.72.

Listing NGR: SO9499922173

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.