This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.78 / 50°46'47"N
Longitude: -2.5695 / 2°34'10"W
OS Eastings: 359943
OS Northings: 97977
OS Grid: SY599979
Mapcode National: GBR PV.4839
Mapcode Global: FRA 57H0.YKV
Entry Name: Maiden Newton Station
Listing Date: 26 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474229
Location: Maiden Newton, Dorset, Dorset, DT2
District: West Dorset
Civil Parish: Maiden Newton
Built-Up Area: Maiden Newton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Maiden Newton and Valleys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SYS997 MAIDEN NEWTON
443/10/10005 Maiden Newton Station
Railway station with main and subsidiary buildings and with attached footbridge. 1857 by R P Brereton for the Great Western Railway. Flint with Hamstone dressings and an artificial slate roof, smaller shelter has Welsh slate, the footbridge is reinforced concrete. Single storey single depth buildings.
Main building: The yard front has two windows to the left of the projecting porch (the projecting timber canopy has been removed), with two more and one paired one to the right, all cross framed casements. Stone quoins, window dressings and eaves band. low pitched roof recently re-slated. Four cement rendered chimneys. One gable end has two windows, the other a paired one. The platform elevation has a central four panel door with rectangular light over. This is flanked by windows and then on the right by an arched recess and on the [eft by a large glazed opening with 3 x 8 panes, with a plain door beyond. This was previously another waiting recess but has now been incorporated into the closed accommodation. Flat stated canopy on timber brackets. interior not inspected, but it has been converted for office use.
Down platform shelter of chalet type apparently little altered. Welsh slate roof. Central recessed seating area flanked by blocked windows. Fiat canopy on timber brackets. low pitch Welsh state roof with single chimney.
Footbridge is a standard concrete prefabricated one probably 1950's by Western Region of BR, now fairly badly spalled and not of special interest.
History: The Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway was first promoted in 1845 with Brunel as engineer. It opened from Chippenham to Westbury in 1848, became a part of the Great Western Railway in 1851 and finally opened through to Weymouth in 1857 including the stretch through Maiden Newton. The station was extended in size in 1859 from the original design (which may date from 1848) to incorporate a bay platform with overall timber roof for the Bridport branch which had also opened in 1857, this was joined to the original building by a new parcels office. This branch was closed in 1975 and the bay with its roof and the extended canopy on the main up platform were removed. The main building was further extended for a refreshment room in 1860-1 at the south end of the building. This section and the parcels office still survive.
References: Adrian Vaughan, A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture, OPC, 1977,p.62 Reasons for listing: This is a good surviving example of the stations for the Wilts, Somerset and Weymouth Railway. Its character is that of a Brunet design, but it was designed probably by his assistant R P Brereton. The other surviving station of this type, at Yeovil Pen Mill has been altered to a much greater degree.
Listing NGR: SY5994697974
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings