This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9001 / 51°54'0"N
Longitude: -2.0772 / 2°4'37"W
OS Eastings: 394787
OS Northings: 222396
OS Grid: SO947223
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X82
Mapcode Global: VH947.YH7R
Plus Code: 9C3VWW2F+24
Entry Name: Promenade House (Echo Office)
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474251
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9422SE CLARENCE PARADE
630-1/13/255 (South East side)
12/03/55 Promenade House ('Echo' Office)
Villa, now offices. c1820-50. Brick with stucco facade and
concealed roof; iron window guards.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 bays: 5 first-floor windows arranged
2:3:2. Part to left return is on basement. Outer pedimented
bays break forward. Stucco detailing includes full-height
fluted pilasters to ends of outer bays, architrave, frieze and
cornice; windows in tooled architraves, those to ground floor
with cornices. First floor has 6/6 sashes. Ground floor has
stepped tripartite windows to outer bays: sashes with upper
margin-lights. Central tetrastyle Tuscan portico with
architrave and frieze with wreaths, cornice; within are
renewed glazed doors.
Left return of 8 first-floor windows (3:5). Ground floor has
horizontal rustication to right part. First-floor band;
crowning frieze and cornice. Windows are 1/1 sashes (some with
margin-lights), 2/2 and 6/6 sashes; to far left are tripartite
windows to ground and first floors in tooled surrounds, that
to ground floor also has frieze and cornice, next window-bay
has similar surrounds. Entrance to right part, steps to
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: spearhead window guards to basement.
For rear of 'Echo' premises see Nos 1-6 Clarence Parade (qv).
Listing NGR: SO9479222404
Other nearby listed buildings