This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8049 / 50°48'17"N
Longitude: -1.0861 / 1°5'9"W
OS Eastings: 464495
OS Northings: 100987
OS Grid: SU644009
Mapcode National: GBR VRT.ZL
Mapcode Global: FRA 86MZ.0Q1
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474437
Location: Portsmouth, PO1
County: City of Portsmouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Portsea All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU6400NW COMMERCIAL ROAD, Landport
774-1/19/262 (East side)
10/01/53 Church of All Saints
Church. 1827-28. By Jacob Owen. 1877 chancel rebuilt, probably
by John Oldrid Scott. Damaged Second World War and restored
1950. 1975, part of gallery at west end converted into offices
and social space. Ashlar stone, Welsh slate roofs with clay
moulded and pierced ridge pieces. Neo-Perpendicular style.
PLAN: 7-bay aisled nave, 3-bay chancel, west porch tower and
spirelet, north-west vestry.
EXTERIOR: north face: chancel has three 3-light
Neo-Perpendicular stone traceried windows, each light with
pointed cusped heads, set under pointed arch. Dripstone with
dropped head bosses. Flanking stepped buttresses, each
ascending to a pinnacle with octagonal top with 4 inset
panels, trefoil moulded band across centre. Nave has second
tall 4-light Neo-Perpendicular windows each set under a
pointed arch, stone panels through centre set between tracery,
banded sill. Far right bay has a recessed vertically panelled
door set under pointed arch. Flanking stepped buttresses.
Projecting stone plinth.
South face similar to north but with vestry to far right with
recessed panelled door at centre set under stone pointed arch
with dripstone. Flanking 2-light stone windows, each light
with pointed cusped head set under moulded stone flat arch
with dripstone. At high level is a 2-light stone traceried
window, each light with ogee cusped head set under pointed
arch with dripstone. Stepped buttress at right corner of
vestry and ornate stone stack.
East face of chancel has a large Neo-Perpendicular 5-light
stone window, cusped head to each light within ogee arch and
set under a pointed stone arch.
West face with diagonal stepped buttress at each corner has to
north and south aisle a 4-light Neo-Perpendicular stone
window, each lower half blinded with recessed stone panels
between tracery. Projecting nave has stepped angle buttresses,
each terminating above roof level with a crocketed pinnacle.
At centre is a recessed 2-leaf boarded door with deep moulded
jambs and pointed arch. Above is a tall Neo-Perpendicular
5-light stone window with bottom half blinded with recessed
stone panels between tracery, pointed arch. Clock face over
ogee dripstone. Facing gable has pierced stone parapet with
copings. Tower base with diagonal stepped buttresses has a
recessed 2-light Y-traceried louvred opening with pointed arch
and dripstone, embattled parapet, recessed crocketed spirelet
and corner sprocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: north and south arcades to aisled nave have
clustered quatrefoil iron piers with moulded capitals, band
moulds and bases, pointed arches each with ogee bead over.
Plaster groined vaulting to nave ceiling springs from
capitals. Aisles have lower level cross vaulting. Galleries to
aisles have segmental supporting arches between columns with
vertical panelled balcony fronts. Vaulted ceiling to aisles
below balcony. West bay including vestibule has late C20
partitioning to form offices, kitchen, toilets etc. East
chancel arch has clustered iron columns with plastered
segmental pointed arch. The 3 chancel bays have stone lierne
vaulting, and flanking each window is an attached column from
which vaulting springs. Organ loft on north side. Stained
glass to east windows 1950 by Terence Randall.
(Balfour A: Portsmouth: Highgate Hill, London: 1970-: 37, 38;
Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 122; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N &
Lloyd DW: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth:
1967-: 435, 436; Offord J: Churches, Chapels and Places of
Worship on Portsea Island: Southsea: 1989-: 14, 15, 16).
Listing NGR: SU6417200284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings