History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

37, High Street

A Grade II* Listed Building in Pershore, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1112 / 52°6'40"N

Longitude: -2.0752 / 2°4'30"W

OS Eastings: 394943

OS Northings: 245876

OS Grid: SO949458

Mapcode National: GBR 2JM.Q4J

Mapcode Global: VH938.Z68D

Plus Code: 9C4V4W6F+FW

Entry Name: 37, High Street

Listing Date: 11 February 1965

Last Amended: 30 March 1999

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387076

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474492

Location: Pershore, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR10

County: Worcestershire

District: Wychavon

Civil Parish: Pershore

Built-Up Area: Pershore

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Pershore

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in
Pershore

Description



PERSHORE

SO9445 HIGH STREET
648-1/5/133 (East side)
11/02/65 No.37
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET
(East side)
Pershore Rural District Council
Offices)

GV II*

House, now offices. Mid-late C18 with later alterations. Red
brick in Flemish bond. Hipped plain tile roof mostly concealed
behind brick parapet and deep painted modillion eaves cornice;
brick end-stacks.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar. 3-window range with 2 wings to
rear. Sill-bands. Central bay breaks forward slightly and has
sash windows to each upper floor, of 3/3 panes to 2nd floor,
6/6 panes below, each with painted channelled voussoirs and
keystone.
To outer bays on 2nd floor, Diocletian windows with painted
surrounds, central 3/3 sashes, and 2-pane side-lights. Below
are 2-storey canted bay-windows with swept lead roofs,
4/4:6/6:4/4 sashes, and painted moulded cornices.
At centre on ground floor, 2 small cambered-headed lights
flank entrance which has Classical architrave with 3/4 Ionic
columns and dentilled open pediment, round-arched door
surround with panelled reveal, fanlight with radial glazing
bars, 6-panel door, decorative wrought-iron handrails and 4
nosed stone steps. Painted brick plinth with blocked cellar
openings. Clock on bracket projecting from centre of 1st
floor.
Rear: long right-hand (N) wing has timbers and render to left
(S) side; left-hand (S) wing of part-chequered blue and red
brick.
INTERIOR: dog-leg staircase with stick balusters to rear
right; moulded elliptical hall arch; some dado rails,
shutters, and panelled reveals; in north wing, former later
billiard room.
HISTORICAL NOTE: originally built for a tanning family with
tannery to rear. Records refer to rebuilding c1800. District
Council occupation was from 1937-1990; some decoration and
furnishings removed at that time were restored 1992.
The design of the building is related to that of nearby
Caldewell, near Pershore.
(BoE: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-: 243; ).


Listing NGR: SO9494345876

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.