History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Eastney House, Linking Archway and Railings teapot Row

A Grade II Listed Building in Portsmouth, City of Portsmouth

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7841 / 50°47'2"N

Longitude: -1.057 / 1°3'25"W

OS Eastings: 466572

OS Northings: 98709

OS Grid: SZ665987

Mapcode National: GBR VXG.F0

Mapcode Global: FRA 87P0.L1F

Entry Name: Former Eastney House, Linking Archway and Railings teapot Row

Listing Date: 25 September 1972

Last Amended: 18 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 474501

Location: Portsmouth, PO4

County: City of Portsmouth

Electoral Ward/Division: Eastney and Craneswater

Built-Up Area: Portsmouth

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Milton St James

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
Southsea

Listing Text


PORTSMOUTH

SZ6698NE CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
774-1/27/148 (East side)
25/09/72 Former Eastney House, linking
archway & railings
(Formerly Listed as:
CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
Eastney House, Archway, CO's
Residence, HQ Training Group RM
Eastney Barracks)

GV II

Includes: Nos.1 AND 2 ROYAL GATE.
Includes: Nos.1 AND 2 CLOCK TOWER DRIVE.
Includes: Nos 1-23 Teapot Row CLOCK TOWER DRIVE.
Officers' quarters, part converted to offices, now flats and
linking archway and attached railings. 1864-1866, designed by
William Scamp for the Admiralty Works Department; converted
1995. Red brick in English bond with brighter-red brick
arches; yellow-brick rusticated angle and dividing pilaster
strips; ashlar plinth band, architraves, 1st-floor sillband
and eaves cornice with blocking course. Slate roofs, that of
former Eastney House and Terrace a hipped mansard with
pedimented dormers. Tall multi-flue brick stacks to party
walls.
EXTERIOR: all of 3 storeys with basement and attic. Former
Eastney House and Terrace (now Teapot Row nos 1-23) has south
elevation of 23 bays, the 5 left-hand bays (former Eastney
House) projecting slightly and the rest of the range divided
into 3-bay sections. At east end is archway linking this range
to former Alford House, with former Training Office to rear
(now Clocktower Drive Nos 1 & 2 and Royal Gate Nos 1 & 2).
This is of 4 bays, arranged 2:2 and with 2 attic windows.
Windows have ashlar architraves and are round-arched on ground
floor, segmental-arched above. Attached railings have
spear-headed bars.
Rear (north side) of former Eastney House and Terrace is
similar, but with paired projecting 4-storey entrance bays,
stepped back on 2nd and 3rd floors.
Entrance to former Eastney House is on left (west) end within
single-storey porch with round archway, cornice and blocking
course.
Linking archway has taller carriageway flanked by pedestrian
arches, all round-arched with rusticated piers and arches;
plain cornices and coped parapets above outer arches; deeper
cornice and blocking course over central arch.


East elevation of former Alford House and former Training
Office (Royal Gate Nos 1 & 2) is slightly asymmetrical, of 5+5
bays, those on right projecting slightly. Projecting
full-height entrance bay to bay 3 has part-glazed door with
rusticated surround up stone steps. Similar entrance in
2-storey slight projection with cornice and blocking course at
bay 8. Windows are round-arched on ground floor, flat-arched
above, the 2 left hand bays with blind windows on ground and
2nd floors.
West elevation (Clocktower Drive Nos 1 & 2) has 2 similar
entrances, now windows, and stone architraves to windows.
INTERIOR: Eastney House, formerly the senior officer's
residence, retains some panelled doors and shutters and
decorative plaster ceilings (boxed in). Some similar features
survive in Eastney Terrace.
HISTORY: William Scamp was the assistant director of the
Admiralty Works Department. The carefully laid-out site beside
the seashore reflects its use by Marines; it is also probably
the last large defensible barracks built in the country. Part
of the best and most complete barracks of the post-Crimean War
period.
(Lloyd DW: Buildings of Portsmouth and its Environs:
Portsmouth: 1974-: 84; PSA Drawings Collection, NMR, Swindon:
1864-1865: PTM/2172-2183).

Listing NGR: SZ6658898977

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.