This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.7855 / 50°47'7"N
Longitude: -1.0547 / 1°3'17"W
OS Eastings: 466731
OS Northings: 98858
OS Grid: SZ667988
Mapcode National: GBR VXT.J9
Mapcode Global: FRA 87P0.DYC
Plus Code: 9C2WQWPW+54
Entry Name: Bamford House, Dowell House, Finch House, Halliday House former Long Barracks and Screen Walls to East and West, Marine Gate harvey House, Prettyjohn House, Wilkinson House
Listing Date: 11 April 1986
Last Amended: 18 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387087
English Heritage Legacy ID: 474503
Location: Portsmouth, PO4
Electoral Ward/Division: Eastney and Craneswater
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Milton St James
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ6698NE CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
774-1/27/150 (East side)
11/04/86 Former Long Barracks and screen
walls to E and W, Marine Gate
(Formerly Listed as:
CROMWELL ROAD, Eastney
Long Barracks and screen walls to
east & west)
Includes: Harvey House, Prettyjohn House, Wilkinson House
(Nos.1-6 consec) GUNNERS ROW.
Includes: Bamford House, Dowell House, Finch House, Halliday
House (Nos.1-6 consec) GUNNERS ROW.
Terrace of barrack blocks at RM Eastney Barracks, now houses.
1863-5, designed by William Scamp for the Admiralty Works
Department; converted 1995. Brown brick in Flemish bond with
red and yellow brick and Portland stone dressings. Slate roofs
with brick stacks.
PLAN: a terrace of 7 linked blocks, each with a central
stair/ablution block projecting at front and rear, flanked by
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, each block 4:3:4 bays, the centre
projecting under hipped roof. Rusticated red brick bands, and
quoined pilasters between blocks. Stone sillbands to 1st and
2nd floors. Stepped, cogged, brick eaves. Windows are 12-pane
sashes in reveals, on ground floor round-arched, on 1st-floor
segmental-arched, and on 2nd floor with rubbed flat arches; on
ground floor the windows are set in recesses which have
dropped "keystones" and "stepped voussoirs" of red and yellow
brick. To each barrack a central three-quarter glazed door
with fanlight. Rising between alternate windows of barrack
rooms are tall chimneys with coupled flues and oversailing
Attached to east and west ends are rusticated red brick screen
walls each with a tall central carriageway flanked by lower
pedestrian arches, all round-arched, the pedestrian arches
having plain stone cornices and coped brick parapets above;
the carriageways having stone cornices and blocking courses
supporting outward pointing mortars and piles of mortar balls.
Rear of barrack block plainer, having brick sillbands, and
windows simply segmental-arched on ground floor.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: a remarkable barrack block, the longest in the
country after the Royal Artillery Barracks, Woolwich. William
Scamp was the assistant director of the Admiralty Works
Department, and associated with the Royal Dockyards at this
time. The carefully laid-out site beside the seashore reflects
its use by Marines; it is also probably the last large
defensible barracks built in the country. Part of the best and
most complete barracks of the post-Crimean War period.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Lloyd D: Hampshire and
the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985-: 429; PSA Drawings
Collection, NMR, Swindon: 1862-: PTM/2243).
Listing NGR: SZ6658898977
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings