History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Old Town, Barnsley

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5608 / 53°33'38"N

Longitude: -1.4959 / 1°29'45"W

OS Eastings: 433486

OS Northings: 407246

OS Grid: SE334072

Mapcode National: GBR KWZ8.Y9

Mapcode Global: WHCBK.ZRTL

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 4 June 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387141

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475047

Location: Barnsley, S75

County: Barnsley

Electoral Ward/Division: Old Town

Built-Up Area: Barnsley

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Barnsley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Barnsley

Listing Text

SE 30 NW GREENFOOT LANE
(South, off)
1014/3/10017
CHURCH OF ST PAUL

II

Parish church. 1936. Designed by Charles Frederick Moxon of Barnsley. Orange and yellow brick with concrete dressings. Flat concrete roofs and domed copper roof. Square nave plan, rectangular chancel and curved eastern apse. South entrance has projecting single storey flat-roofed porch with 3 central round arches and 2 small flanking windows. Set back the nave has 5 tall round headed windows arranged in a graduated curve. To the right the projecting Lady Chapel with 3 round arched openings with windows and raised panels below, and set back a single round headed chancel window. Chancel has single tall round headed window to each side and round ended apse with 5 small windows and banded brickwork. Projecting single storey parish rooms with sets of 3 windows. North entrance has round headed doorway with double plank doors and fanlight flanked by 2 small windows to each side. Set back to right central baptistery with 3 windows. Unfinished west front has simple blank wall with large brick arch and pilasters either side, central doorway with plank door and above a single tall round headed window. INTERIOR has plastered and stepped dome, resting on exposed brick arches, with large Art Deco style chandelier. Contemporary wooden parquet floors, pews, inlaid choir stalls and octagonal pulpit. Raised chancel with central steps and low brick side walls. Pairs of polished wooden double doors throughout. Plain altar with polished wooden altar rail and single tall black candlesticks. Baptistery has stone carved font with elaborate wooden font cover. Windows all have contemporary abstract patterned stained glass.


Listing NGR: SE3348607246

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.