This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5567 / 51°33'24"N
Longitude: 0.2444 / 0°14'39"E
OS Eastings: 555688
OS Northings: 186587
OS Grid: TQ556865
Mapcode National: GBR W3.L8X
Mapcode Global: VHHNG.642H
Plus Code: 9F32H64V+MQ
Entry Name: Convent of the Sacred Heart of Mary
Listing Date: 5 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387179
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475097
Location: Upminster, Havering, London, RM14
Electoral Ward/Division: Upminster
Built-Up Area: Havering
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Upminster St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 58 NE ST MARY'S LANE
Convent of The Sacred Heart
House, used as a convent since 1920s. 1870 by W.G. Bartlett. Red brick laid in English bond and stone quoins; plaintile and machine tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: south front of 2-3 storeys and attic; S-window range. Elevation consists of main house to east which is 3-gabled range, and service wing to west. Fenestration of mullioned artificial stone casements or cross casements. Main range with projecting window bay to left with a shaped gable on carved kneelers.6-light cross casement to ground floor and 4-light one above. Single-light casements in returns of the bay. Moulded stringcourse between the floors. Similar arrangement to right projection except there is a straight gable set back and the bay has a hipped roof: 4-light and 3-light cross casements and moulded string course. Centre element with a S-light cross casement to the ground floor in a projecting single-storey bay, the centre light developed as a doorway. Pierced strapwork parapet. 3-light mezzanine cross casement above and a tall canted oriel above that, on a ribbed bracket and lit through one-light casements. One single-light casement right and left. Gabled roof. 5 twin-flued stacks with corbelled tops. Service wing with a projecting upper floor standing on a canted bay window, the corbelling under the corners of the projections decorated with palmette and scalloped motifs. 3-light first-floor casement below a sundial dated 1870. Attic light in gable head. Connecting link to left with one 3-light casement to each floor, that to ground floor with transom. 4-centred doorway to its right.
2-3 storey north front of similar but less elaborate details plus a 3-storey staircase tower fitted with a S-light cross casement to north and a 2-light equivalent to west return. Gabled timber porch to left added c. 1900: 3 glazed panels each side, half-glazed doors under open wavy bargeboards. Porch placed in front of a half-timbered and jet tied entrance bay with pargeting between the first-floor studs.
INTERIOR: staircase hall with moulded mahogany doorcases with saw-tooth decoration and corner finials. 8-panel mahogany doors. Artificial stone chimneypiece with splaye9 jambs and a pyramid mantel over a frieze with stylised fleur-de-lys carving. Open-well mahogany staircase: closed string, heavy turned balusters, ramped and wreathed moulded handrails. String carved with different floral patterns. Panelled dado with carved floral and geometric panels, all different. 2 moulded ceiling beams resting on grotesque corbels. S stained glass panels in north window by Burne- jones, made by Morris & Co (female figures playing musical instruments), and S heads in roundels above. In return window are figures of Launcelot and Elaine, and 2 heads above.
East room with marble chimneypiece with acanthus consoles to jambs and festoon of foliage in frieze. Ceiling with plaster ribs forming octagons and squares. Window bay with mahogany surround. Centre room with identical chimneypiece, and plaster ceiling ribs radiating from ad quadratum squares. Foliage trails to bridging beam and window bay. Room to west (now chapel) with dado panelling identical to staircase and 3 moulded bridging beams and joists. Main room of service block with 4-centred chimneypiece, the jambs with inset marble panels.
First-floor principal rooms with similar chimneypieces of different designs. Plaster cornices and 4-panel softwood doors.
Listing NGR: TQ5760486610
Other nearby listed buildings