This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2768 / 51°16'36"N
Longitude: -2.1829 / 2°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 387339
OS Northings: 153088
OS Grid: ST873530
Mapcode National: GBR 1T7.T36
Mapcode Global: VH979.35VJ
Entry Name: Blenches Mill at Blenches Mill Farm
Listing Date: 25 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475226
Location: Heywood, Wiltshire, BA13
Civil Parish: Heywood
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: North Bradley, Southwick and Heywood
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 85 SE HEYWOOD
929/4/10008 Blenches Mill at
Blenches Mill Farm
Water grist mill. Circa 1835, probably for the Heywood Park estate. Red brick in English garden wall bond with diapering under the eaves at front, and with stone stringcourse and windows. Gable-ended roof, re-clad in asbestos and corrugated iron sheets.
PLAN: Rectangular plan, without internal partitions, and with waterwheel pit and machinery at the north end.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys. Symmetrical 5-bay west front with stone stringcourse at first floor level, slightly chamfered 2-light stone mullion window frames with iron casements, central doorway and loading door above on first floor; the second floor is blind at front where there are small diamond patterns in blue brick headers under the eaves. Similar, but 3-light window in end gables with diamond pattern of old bottle ends in apex above, and one 2-light stone mullion window at rear. Lean-to wheel-pit house at north end. Later stable attached to south end.
INTERIOR: The overshot wheel is missing but the wheel shaft survives. The mill machinery remains intact. 2-step spurwheel under-drive machinery with shaft carried through stone floor for secondary drive take-offs, its crown-wheel and secondary gearing are missing, but the sack-hoist on the bin floor above remains. Timber hurst-frame and principal gearing intact, including the cast-iron pit-wheel with wooden cogs and cast-iron spur-wheels. Bin floor has gallery supported on the tie-beams of the roof. 5-bay tie-beam roof with tenoned staggered purlins and intact common-rafters with ridgeboard. One of the purlins is inscribed: J.T. Paige 1844, 1864, W.W..
Listing NGR: ST8733953088
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings