This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8003 / 52°48'1"N
Longitude: -2.6328 / 2°37'57"W
OS Eastings: 357434
OS Northings: 322718
OS Grid: SJ574227
Mapcode National: GBR 7N.WNYY
Mapcode Global: WH9CF.JWJ2
Plus Code: 9C4VR928+4V
Entry Name: Moreton Mill
Listing Date: 14 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475358
Location: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst, Shropshire, SY4
Civil Parish: Moreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shawbury St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 52 SE
Water powered industrial building, originally a forge for the manufacture of wrought iron, converted to a corn mill and sawmill in the C19. West range dated 176-, with documentary evidence of rebuilding in 1759-61. Late C18 and C19 alterations.
Red brick and sandstone ashlar, with plain tile roofs, brick dentillated eaves, and mainly segment headed openings. Single range, 2 storeys plus basement and garrets, 3/3 bays. Single storey sawmill attached at west end, random rubble, brick and timber.
East range, to left, has ashlar basement and ground floor, with C18 brick upper floors. Road frontage has a stable door flanked to right by a hatch door giving access to the vacant wheel pit. Above, to left, a hatch. Left gable has a late C19 first floor window. This range may have contained forge machinery. West range, dated 176-, has a central board door with C20 concrete steps, flanked by single small casement windows, unglazed. Right gable has an unglazed 3-light garret window. At the rear, mainly original openings, some blocked, and a datestone with brick surround, inscribed "Rebuilt 176-". This building may have been a warehouse or charcoal store.
To right, former sawmill, later C19 and mid C20. Single storey, with corrugated asbestos roof. At the east end, a single bay, random rubble with ashlar quoins. To west, C19 brick, and at the rear, mid C20 wooden construction. To left, a hatchway to the wheelpit, with a C19 steel wheel formerly with wooden floats, and in tandem, a wooden water wheel, perhaps earlier, both undershot. To right, 3 C20 windows. At the rear, a wide opening and various windows, one with glazing bars. Double doors to the west gable.
INTERIOR: East end has in the basement vacant joist mortices in the stonework, and a later C19 floor with reused cross beams. Incomplete ashlar cross wall. C19 king post truss roof. Dated west end has two C19 lattice girders inserted c1950, carrying the first floor. Some pulleys and line shafting, early C20. Sawmill has mid C20 truss roof with tie rods, and various concrete machine bases.
These buildings are substantial remains of an important ironworking site, which was used intermittently from the early C17. It was reconstructed in 1759-61, perhaps in response to a change in the technology of iron manufacture. It remained in use till c1794, and by 1880 had been converted to a corn mill and a sawmill.
Listing NGR: SJ5743422718
Other nearby listed buildings