This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5969 / 51°35'48"N
Longitude: -0.1956 / 0°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 525079
OS Northings: 190211
OS Grid: TQ250902
Mapcode National: GBR C3.3C8
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.K4G5
Entry Name: Hertford Lodge
Listing Date: 20 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387518
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475485
Location: Barnet, London, N3
Electoral Ward/Division: Finchley Church End
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Finchley St Paul
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2590 EAST END ROAD
House, later used as municipal offices. Circa 1860 villa in Italianate style, probably extended to left c1880. Stuccoed with slate roof and end stuccoed chimneystacks. Symmetrical three bay part to right with taller set back tower to left. Right hand part of three storeys and basement three windows. Wide bracket eaves cornice with paterae and bands between floors. Second floor has three round-headed arched windows and two blank arches, First floor has three sashes with vertical glazing bars only and ground floor has two projecting square bays with piers with foliate capitals and central porch approached by a flight of cement steps. Tower is higher, of three storeys with steeply pitched roof with patterned slates, cast iron cresting and oeil de boeuf window. Second floor has two round headed windows and a central panel engraved "HERTFORD HOUSE". First floor has central window with curved pediment and decorated apron flanked by sashes. Ground floor has central window flanked by foliate pilasters.
INTERIOR: Right side wooden dogleg staircase with moulded pilasters and mahogany handrail. Tower has wooden well staircase with elaborate turned balusters. Some fireplaces were missing but there were several c1860 wooden fireplaces and a tower room had a c1880 bolection-moulded fireplace with panel and blue-tiled surround. Some original cornices and circular ceiling ventilating grilles survived. The basement retained wine bins and the electric bells survived from the building's use as municipal offices.
Listing NGR: TQ2507990211
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings