This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5922 / 54°35'31"N
Longitude: -1.021 / 1°1'15"W
OS Eastings: 463358
OS Northings: 522328
OS Grid: NZ633223
Mapcode National: GBR PH9B.RM
Mapcode Global: WHF81.9T2Y
Plus Code: 9C6WHXRH+VJ
Entry Name: Church of St Mark
Listing Date: 13 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387546
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475519
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS11
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Marske-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Marske-in-Cleveland St Mark
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6322SW REDCAR ROAD, Marske
802-1/5/14 (North side)
13/04/67 Church of St Mark
(Formerly Listed as:
SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA
REDCAR ROAD, Marske By The Sea
Church of St Mark)
Parish church. 1866-7 by FP Cockerell; tower battlements
MATERIALS: Rock-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings; brick
interior with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof with stone
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: Chancel with north organ and vestry and south tower;
aisled nave with south-west baptistry and south porch.
EXTERIOR: plinth, angle buttresses with coped offsets,
trefoil-headed lancet windows.
East elevation has string to sloping sills of 3 tall lancets
with hoodmoulds under single relieving arch.
South porch has roll-moulded pointed open arch with inner
shafts and arch under steep gable with gabled kneelers to
coping; returns have paired small trefoil-headed lights.
Aisle windows paired under eaves gutter cornice with zigzag
decoration; six-foil clerestory windows under corbel table
with animal masks.
West elevation has gabled slight projection containing
pointed-arched door with zigzag moulding enclosing 2
diagonally-boarded doors between shafts under stone head with
blind trefoils and vesica; large 8-foil window above flanked
3-stage tower has octagonal south-west stair turret with small
lancet lights; first stage has paired windows, second stage
blind and tall paired belfry openings with nookshafts and
large stone louvres.
Clock below battlemented parapet added after fire in 1892 had
destroyed tower roof.
INTERIOR: brick with ashlar arcades, bands and dressings;
scissor-braced hammer-beam roof resting on stone corbels, and
diagonal-boarded ceiling. 4 steps up to chancel, 2 to
|sanctuary and one to altar. Attached arcaded to east windows
with clasping rings on nookshafts supporting arches with
ball-flower mouldings; deep ashlar reveals.
North organ arch and south tower chapel arcade with high
relief soffit carving of symbols of evangelists. Dripmould to
high roll moulded chancel arch with nookshafts and recessed
inner arch on corbelled shafts with crocket capitals. Similar
style richly carved capitals to 5-bay nave arcades, with
roll-moulded arches on round piers with spurs to bases.
Clerestory windows recessed in pointed-arched panels with
ashlar arches. Aisle windows have paired arches on slender
Baptistry west of south porch has arch springing directly from
brick pier. West door has ashlar arch to brick panel, blocked
by inserted temporary screen. Sill, impost and arcade bands.
Aisle and nave roofs have pierced wood frieze.
FITTINGS: include Gothic wood reredos, linen fold panelling to
sanctuary. North aisle has delicate wrought-iron screen,
removed in 1970 from chancel arch and adapted to form chapel.
Norman font removed from old parish church of St Germain (qv)
at Marske-by-the-Sea and found early C20 being used as water
trough: square, with restored plinth; squat angle shafts with
scallop capitals and richly carved sides with spirals and
wheels. At west end, in front of doorway, tall medieval cross
with foliated pierced head, probably C13; shaft restored. Pine
pews have shaped ends, pent kneelers and roll-moulded boarded
backs. C20 chairs in choir. Funeral hatchments transferred
from St Germain hang in north aisle.
STAINED GLASS: of high quality includes east by Heatron,
Butler and Bayne, showing Last Supper, Crucifixion and
Resurrection, with well-drawn figures, in memory of Sophia
Countess of Zetland, died 1865; north aisle glass includes
west window signed Robert Burr & Sons, Westbourne Place,
Paddington and Park Street Grosvenor Square. West rose window
of very high quality medieval style glass, with geometric
patterns and foliage in bright colours.
MONUMENTS: brass plaque on inner face of baptistry pier states
west window given by parishioners and other friends to
commemorate Thomas, 2nd Earl of Zetland, 1796-1873, and his
brother-in-law Henry Walker Yeoman, of Marske Hall, 1789-1875.
Yeoman was Vicar of Marske.
(VCH: Yorkshire North Riding, Vol II, 1923: 403; Lambert D and
Sidaway GP: The Parish Church (St Mark) Marske-by-Sea; The
Builder: Quoted in County Council typescript notes: 807-8).
Listing NGR: NZ6335822328
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings