This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9062 / 51°54'22"N
Longitude: -2.0644 / 2°3'52"W
OS Eastings: 395662
OS Northings: 223077
OS Grid: SO956230
Mapcode National: GBR 2M5.DWS
Mapcode Global: VHB1Q.5CG1
Entry Name: Numbers 62, 64 and 66 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 12 March 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387601
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475576
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52
Electoral Ward/Division: Oakley
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9523SE PRESTBURY ROAD
630-1/7/710 (North West side)
12/03/55 Nos.62, 64 AND 66
and attached railings
Terrace of 3 houses with attached area railings throughout and
boundary railings to right. 1827 and 1831. Stucco over brick
with hipped slate roof, stucco end and party-wall stacks;
wrought-iron verandahs and railings.
PLAN: left side hallways with service wing to left house.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, with attic storeys to left and right, 9
first-floor windows. 1/1 replacement sashes throughout, some
horned, blind central first-floor window to centre and right
houses; attic has 6/6 sash to left and casements to right, all
in plain reveals and with sills. Entrances to left: flights of
steps to 6-panel doors, the upper panels raised and fielded,
the lower panels flush, with sidelights and overlights.
Crowning entablature. Rear retains 6/6 sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: continuous verandahs, all with anthemion
motifs and scrolls to uprights, and with scroll frieze to
left, 'draped' frieze to centre and Gothic frieze to right;
arrowhead and X-motif area railings; arrowhead railings with
urn finials to boundary at right. Rear has individual balcony
to second floor at left (No.62).
HISTORICAL NOTE: The lots had several owners during completion
(see Blake). Originally known as Pittville Place and shown as
such on Merrett's 1834 Map. The NW side of Prestbury Road was
built as part of the development of this area undertaken for
Joseph Pitt in 1835-42, the general layout being designed by
the architect John Forbes.
(Blake S: Pittville: 1824-1860: Cheltenham: 1988-: 75).
Listing NGR: SO9566823081
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings