This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5814 / 54°34'53"N
Longitude: -0.977 / 0°58'37"W
OS Eastings: 466219
OS Northings: 521171
OS Grid: NZ662211
Mapcode National: GBR PHMG.8G
Mapcode Global: WHF87.Y3YN
Plus Code: 9C6XH2JF+H6
Entry Name: Church of Emmanuel
Listing Date: 13 April 1967
Last Amended: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387613
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475599
Location: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske, Redcar and Cleveland, TS12
County: Redcar and Cleveland
Civil Parish: Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
Built-Up Area: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Saltburn Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: York
SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE
NZ6621SW WINDSOR ROAD, Saltburn
802-1/10/60 (South side)
13/04/67 Church of Emmanuel
(Formerly Listed as:
SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA
WINDSOR ROAD, Saltburn By The Sea
Parish Church of Emmanuel)
Parish church. 1867-9 by JP Pritchett of Darlington, with
later additions and alterations, primarily tower, 1898, by
William Pitts & Son of Leeds and south porch, 1902, by Clark &
Moscrop of Darlington.
MATERIALS: rock faced sandstone and ashlar dressing with stone
slate roof; interior red brick with bands of blue
Staffordshire bricks and ashlar dressing of Ancaster stone.
STYLE: Gothic Revival.
PLAN: chancel with south vestry and low north tower, aisled
nave with transepts and north and south porches, west tower.
EXTERIOR: half octagonal east end has traceried 2-light
windows on sill string which breaks forward round gabled
buttresses; east bay raised and 4-light window inserted at
roof level under raised gable.
Square tower at north-east has angle buttresses and irregular
fenestration with square and pointed heads and zigzag edged
South vestry low and flat-roofed, with paired traceried lights
under square head.
Tall gabled south aisle has pointed-arched door and rose
window in gable peak. Similar windows in gable peaks of north
and south transepts over tall paired 2-light windows. 3-light
aisle windows and round clerestory windows all have dripmoulds
with block stops.
North porch has side buttresses flanking pointed-arched door
with 2 orders and round window in gable peak; south porch has
side door in moulded shafted surround, and south lancet below
gable with vent slit.
West tower has angle buttresses to 3 tall stages, the first
with 2-light south and tall 3-light west windows; small lights
below clock with 3 faces; 3 tall louvred belfry openings above
have Y-tracery separated by shafts which rise through eaves
string to battlement pinnacles.
INTERIOR: chancel ashlar with painted roof; nave polychrome
brick with ashlar dressings and boarded barrel roof on
corbelled wall shafts; ashlar tower. Chancel has nook shafts
and ballflower stopped hoodmoulds to roll moulded windows;
raised altar canopy on angle wall shafts with richly carved
corbels bearing symbols of evangelists. Interior carving
completed 1885 by WG Milburn of York.
Chancel altered c1923 by raising apse; refitted 1925 by CA
Nicholson of London for War Memorial windows (signed drawing
in church). Vestry 1930. West baptistry 1931 by Nicholson.
Trefoil responds to high wide chancel and transept arches.
4-bay quatrefoil nave arcades have angel corbels to responds,
and stiff leaf capitals supporting roll-moulded pointed
arches. Tall narrow tower arch has quoin jambs. Clerestory and
aisle windows have arches.
Panelled altar and sanctuary commemorate LTB Knight, vicar
Chancel floor and west bay of nave have brightly coloured
geometric tiles. Crocketed gablets over piscina and sedilia;
brass communion rail with leaf scroll.
Roof beam with large wood figures commemorates JRB Kennedy.
FITTINGS: ashlar pulpit with Gothic piercing has ballflower
and crocket ornament, and sounding board. Choir stalls richly
carved by William Hedley of Newcastle upon Tyne. Organ 1907 by
Harrison & Harrison; stencilled Gothic decoration on pipes in
Gothic case in south chancel aisle.
MONUMENTS: Gothic marble in north transept by A Welsh, Leeds,
to HN Ayrton, midshipman RNR, died 1876 aged 16. South aisle
War Memorial brass. 3 steps up to chamfered square font in
tower, with Mary and Child Jesus carved on cover in classical
canopy. Tower has alabaster panel marking 25th anniversary of
first vicar, Rev B Irwin.
STAINED GLASS: of high quality, includes 5 original chancel
windows by Alexander Gibbs: richly coloured scenes from the
life of Christ; above is the 1923 window by Nicholson,
executed by HW Boyers, showing the Saints of Northumbria.
Window in the style of Kemp in the north chancel chapel,
commemorating members of the Johnson family died 1915 and
1920. Striking west window possibly by the Irish school. North
porch windows painted by Miss Jackson.
HISTORY: site donated by William Morley of The Cottage,
Saltburn. Nave north transept and north aisle opened for
worship 1868. Chancel, south transept and south aisle
dedicated 1879. South porch was built to commemorate the
silver jubilee of the church, 1902.
(Saltburn '53 Society: `A man for all Seasons' for 125th year
of parish church: Saltburn: 1992; Wilson CS: The History of
Saltburn: Saltburn by Sea: 1983-: 67,73-5,79,87,90,98;
Cleveland County Council: Typescript notes on historic
Listing NGR: NZ6621921171
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings