This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8997 / 51°53'58"N
Longitude: -2.0762 / 2°4'34"W
OS Eastings: 394851
OS Northings: 222350
OS Grid: SO948223
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XK8
Mapcode Global: VH947.YJR2
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXF+VG
Entry Name: 50, Promenade
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387634
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475620
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/738 (South East side)
House now shop. c1820-40 with conversion to shop probably
pre-1845 and later alterations including c1980s ground-floor
shop front. Stucco over brick with concealed roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows. Central
breakforward. Stucco detailing includes horizontal rustication
to first floor; voussoirs over windows. 4/4 sashes in plain
reveals and with sills. Wide eaves and central broken
segmental pediment on corbel brackets and with swags. Glazed
shop front with central entrance.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)), by 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses', by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 12).
Listing NGR: SO9484722344
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings