This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8991 / 51°53'56"N
Longitude: -2.0769 / 2°4'36"W
OS Eastings: 394806
OS Northings: 222284
OS Grid: SO948222
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.XC0
Mapcode Global: VH947.YJDJ
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXF+J6
Entry Name: 74 and 76, Promenade
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Last Amended: 26 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387648
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475634
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/743 (South East side)
05/05/72 Nos.74 AND 76
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
Nos.74, 76 AND 78)
House, now 2 shops. c1820-40; with later additions and
alterations including conversion to shops probably pre-1845;
c1980-90 ground-floor shop front; c1980s rear range to right.
Ashlar over brick with slate mansard roof and end brick stack.
Double-depth plan with 2-storey service range to rear at left.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with attics, 3 first-floor windows. Ashlar
detailing: first floor has tooled first-floor sill band
interrupted by paired Doric pilasters to each end and single
pilaster between windows. First floor cornice below outer
windows. Crowning entablature and blocking course; right end
copings. To left a 1/1 sash interrupts cornice, central 6/6
sash and 8/8 sash to right, all with sills. Attic dormers to
mansard have 3/3 sashes. Ground floor: 2 glazed shop fronts
and glazed doors. Rear retains 6/6, 4/4 and 2/2 sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined avenue from the Colonnade in the High Street to the
Sherborne Spa (on the site of the Queen's Hotel (qv)). By 1826
it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on each
side. Although originally on either side were 'rows of elegant
houses,' by 1845 when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide
(published 1850) he noted that 'nearly the whole of the
left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to professional or business
(Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969:
12-14; The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The
Vale and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146).
Listing NGR: SO9481022284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings