This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.898 / 51°53'52"N
Longitude: -2.0781 / 2°4'41"W
OS Eastings: 394722
OS Northings: 222169
OS Grid: SO947221
Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.X11
Mapcode Global: VH947.XKR9
Plus Code: 9C3VVWXC+6Q
Entry Name: Paris House
Listing Date: 5 May 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387683
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475669
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
630-1/13/753 (South East side)
05/05/72 Nos.108-118 (Even)
Boarding house, c1820-34, altered to shops, c1876-99. With C20
alterations. Stucco over brick with concealed roof, stucco end
and rear stacks with cornices and wrought-iron balconies.
PLAN: original range has central 3-window breakforward; ground
floor now has row of projecting shop fronts which continue to
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 5 first-floor windows, with further range
at left. First floor retains original stucco detailing:
breakforward articulated by 3/4-engaged Ionic columns to ends
and between windows; end Doric pilasters; continuous
entablature and blocking course. First floor has 6/6 sashes in
plain reveals and tooled architraves with sill band.
Ground floor shop fronts articulated by rusticated pilasters,
frieze and dentil cornice, where original; now with
plate-glass windows with glass doors to left; cambered-arched,
tripartite windows with slender mullions and recessed, glazed
door to left entrance at centre, otherwise shops have glazed
shop fronts and frieze, that to left with frosted glass and
INTERIOR: retain some original features including rear
skylight to stairwell with panes of frosted glass with
margin-lights. A stretch of deep coving and pilaster.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: balustrade over projecting shops at left
part has stick balusters and embellished panels. To right part
and continuing to right return a balustrade with web and
scrolled lozenge motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Paris House is shown on Merrett's 1834 Map as
a single build with Belgrave House, Imperial Square (qv). The
Ionic columns and Doric pilasters were originally to full
height. Rowe's Guide illustrates a balcony to ground floor
with web motif which may have been re-used in part. In 1845
when Rowe wrote his Cheltenham Guide (published 1850) he noted
this as 'Mesdames Haydon and Shaw's Boarding House (which)
occupies a conspicuous position at the corner of Imperial
Square. .. the internal accommodations are on the best scale'.
The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a tree-lined drive to
the Sherborne Spa, on the site of the Queen's Hotel, to the
Colonnade in the High Street; by 1826 it was a carriage drive
with spacious gravelled walk on each side. Buildings on the NW
were the first to be developed. Although originally on either
side were 'rows of elegant houses' by 1845 Rowe noted, 'nearly
the whole of the left-hand (SE) side .. is devoted to
professional or business establishments'.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide
Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29; Rowe G: Illustrated Cheltenham
Guide: Cheltenham: 1850-1969: 10-11, 19(ILLUS)).
Listing NGR: SO9475222186
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings