History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 99-119 and Attached Railings

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8983 / 51°53'53"N

Longitude: -2.0789 / 2°4'44"W

OS Eastings: 394668

OS Northings: 222195

OS Grid: SO946221

Mapcode National: GBR 2M4.WS6

Mapcode Global: VH947.XKB4

Plus Code: 9C3VVWXC+8C

Entry Name: Numbers 99-119 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387670

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475656

Location: Lansdown, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Lansdown

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Cheltenham, St Mary with St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in



630-1/13/750 (North West side)
12/03/55 Nos.99-119 (Odd)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
(South side)
Nos.2-6 (Even))
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
Nos.99-119 (Odd))


Includes: Nos.6 AND 8 ST GEORGE'S ROAD.
Terrace of 13 houses and attached railings, now offices and
shop with flats over (Nos 2 & 4 St George's Road now part of
No.99 Promenade). c1830-40, Nos 109-119 completed by 1834,
with later additions and alterations including those of c1970s
to rear, No.99. Stucco over brick with slate roof and brick
and stucco party-wall stacks, some rear stacks; wrought-iron
verandahs and railings.
PLAN: a symmetrical terrace with end breakforwards and central
raised parapet and pediment and full-height service ranges to
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basements with attic storey to Nos 107,
109 and 111, and to No.99 at return, 39 first-floor windows (3
per house). Stucco detailing includes horizontal rustication
to ground floor and plain segmental-arched recesses around
windows with voussoirs to heads, full-height Doric pilasters
which interrupt second-floor band; crowning entablature.
Pediment over central house (No 109) and parapet to either
side, all with sunk panels. 6/6 sashes where original, taller
to first floor, in plain reveals and with sills. Attics to
left return in raised parapet have 3/6 sashes. Basements have
3/6 sashes. Entrances to right: flights of roll-edged steps to
4-panel doors and double doors with tooled wooden doorcases
and deep cambered-arched overlights; within are 4-panel,
part-glazed doors with sidelights and overlights with
decorative glazing bars. Further entrances to basements,
4-panel doors, some part-glazed, with overlights with glazing
bars. Ground floor at left (No.99) has c1970s shop front.
Right return has 5-window facade with similar stucco detailing
and fluted Ionic columns through first to third floors; first
floor has tripartite 1/1 sashes; second floor has tall 6/6

between 2/2 sashes in tooled architraves and with cornices on
consoles; third floor has alternate 6/6 between 2/2 sashes and
6/6 sashes in tooled architraves.
Rear: mostly 6/6 sashes; some 6/6 sashes with margin-lights
and some 6/6 staircase sashes with radial glazing to heads. To
Nos 99, 101 and 103 the elevations are elaborately treated:
No.99 has full-height bow with second-floor band and crowning
entablature; 6/6 and 8/8 sashes curved on plan; ground floor
has c1970s glazed shop front. Taylor's Tea Shop (No.101) has
sash windows in tooled surrounds and crowning cornice.
INTERIOR: noted as retaining original plasterwork and joinery,
including dogleg staircases with stick balusters and wreathed
handrails where original.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Nos 109-119 have roofed verandahs with
balconies with star and lozenge pattern and uprights with
double-headed anthemion motif, tent roofs. Area railings have
X-motif. Railings to sides of steps have wreathed handrails.
Individual balconies to left return, second floor have star
and lozenge pattern motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Promenade was laid out in 1818 as a
tree-lined drive to the Sherborne Spa (on the site of the
Queen's Hotel qv) from the Colonnade in the High Street, by
1826 it was a carriage drive with spacious gravelled walk on
each side. Buildings on the NW were the first to be developed.
One of Cheltenham's best Regency terraces
(Chatwin A: Cheltenham's Ornamental Ironwork: Cheltenham:
1975-1984: 29,34; The Buildings of England: Verey D:
Gloucestershire: The Vale and The Forest of Dean: London:
1970-: 146; Williams GA: Guide Book to Cheltenham: 1824-: 29).

Listing NGR: SO9464022153

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.