This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2929 / 53°17'34"N
Longitude: -3.0086 / 3°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 332864
OS Northings: 377796
OS Grid: SJ328777
Mapcode National: GBR 7ZFC.F9
Mapcode Global: WH87S.RHHG
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 29 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475689
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH64
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Willaston and Thornton
Built-Up Area: Willaston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Willaston Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ3277 NESTON ROAD, Willaston Village
794-1/9/119 (North side)
Parish church. 1854; north aisle added in 1926. Church by
Fulljames & Walker; north aisle by B Miller. Tooled red Bunter
sandstone in squared coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and
timber and stone porch; green Westmoreland slate roofs with
PLAN: 2-bay chancel; 4-bay nave with north aisle, south porch
and east bellcote.
EXTERIOR: nave and chancel on plinths; diagonal buttresses to
chancel; angle and diagonal buttresses to nave. East window is
of 3 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil tracery in the head.
Chancel windows are single trefoil-headed lights beneath
quatrefoil tracery set in moulded rectangular surrounds.
South porch is steeply gabled and scissor braced at the front:
south door is boarded with strap hinges. Nave windows are 2
centred and have 2 trefoil-headed lights beneath trefoil
The north aisle and vestry additions have gabled windows with
mullions, carved as angels and the clerestory windows are
West window is of 4 lights with octofoil and mouchette tracery
in the head. Moulded sill string beneath windows which
generally have hoodmoulds with fruit ball stops.
Chancel has wheel cross on the gable; bellcote is gabled with
single pointed opening.
INTERIOR: oak panelling flanks the panelled reredos and is
fixed to the sanctuary side walls.
Arch-braced chancel roof with exposed rafters and ashlars. Two
large and one small arch separate the north aisle from the
nave. The roof is arch-braced supported by elaborate corbels
which consist of shafts which rise from deep clusters of
vines. The rafters are exposed with ashlars as in the case of
Oak altar has 3 panels with trefoil motif. Altar rail with
shield decoration, front of choir stalls with fruit motif
attached to linenfold fronted reading desk. 1929 pulpit has a
simple Gothic motif. Octagonal font with oak and metal strap
Stained glass by Wailes and Kempe in east window and chancel.
Listing NGR: SJ3286477796
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings