This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5008 / 52°30'3"N
Longitude: -1.8654 / 1°51'55"W
OS Eastings: 409234
OS Northings: 289224
OS Grid: SP092892
Mapcode National: GBR 681.1D
Mapcode Global: VH9YX.MD6P
Plus Code: 9C4WG42M+8R
Entry Name: Villa Tavern
Listing Date: 28 July 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387740
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475729
Location: Birmingham, B7
Electoral Ward/Division: Nechells
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
SP 08 NE BIRMINGHAM NECHELLS PARK ROAD
997/7/10209 Villa Tavern
Public house. Rebuilt 1924-5 by Matthew J. Butcher of Birmingham for Ansells Brewery Ltd. Red brick with buff terracotta detailing. Cement tiled roof. Ridge and eaves stacks. PLAN. L-shaped plan, occupying street corner site, with public bar and club axially placed, and with small smoke room behind. EXTERIOR. 2 storeys, with 6-bay frontage to Holborn Hill, a 3-bay frontage to Nechells Park Road, and between, at the corner angle, doorway set beneath a shallow semi-circular arched canopy. Nechells Park Road elevation with a canted bay window and two entrance doors. Holborn Hill elevation with off-centre paired doorways, 3, 2-light windows to the left and 2, 2-light windows to the right. On the first floor flat pilasters with alternating brick and terracotta blocks define the bays. Terracotta head and cill bands , and above, a cornice and deep plain parapet which is broken by segmental pediments, one to each frontage, and a chimney gablet to the Holborn Hill elevation. INTERIOR. Little- altered plan based around 3 public rooms, all retaining fixed wall seating and fire surrounds ,and contemporary public bar counter and back with round arches and mirror glass. Half-glazed panelled doors with rectangular overlights, throughout, those to public rooms with etched glass identifying their function. Tiled flooring to entrance lobbies and hall. Green and buff tiled dado to the Holborn Hill entrance lobby and hall area behind. Bell-pushes in the smoke and club rooms. In the bar, smoke room and hall raised bands of decoration in the ceilings follows the shape of the rooms. This public house is unusual for the survival of its 1925 plan and the contemporary fittings. Architecturally it displays the greater simplicity associated with post-First World War public houses but the internal arrangements are reminiscent of smaller Victorian pubs rather than the inter-War 'improved' variety. SOURCE: Birmingham Archives, Birmingham Building Plans 38518.
Listing NGR: SP0923489224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings