This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2936 / 53°17'37"N
Longitude: -3.0811 / 3°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 328037
OS Northings: 377952
OS Grid: SJ280779
Mapcode National: GBR 6ZXC.R1
Mapcode Global: WH76M.NG0W
Plus Code: 9C5R7WV9+FH
Entry Name: Chapel of Mostyn House School
Listing Date: 22 March 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475778
Location: Neston, Cheshire West and Chester, CH64
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Neston
Built-Up Area: Neston
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Neston St Mary and St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Chester
Tagged with: Chapel
SJ2877 THE PARADE, Parkgate Village
794-1/5/101 (East side)
22/03/74 Chapel of Mostyn House School
Collegiate chapel. 1895 with C20 porch extension. By AG
Grenfell, Headmaster, for the Mostyn House School; original
interior fittings designed by Frederick Fraser of Warrington.
MATERIALS: Ruabon red brick in English garden-wall bond on
weathered plinth; window dressings and eaves frieze of
terracotta; red tile roof with ridge cresting, stone coped
west gable and finial on east end.
PLAN: nave and chancel continuous, with eastern apse, western
bellcote and porch extension.
EXTERIOR: building articulated by 2-stage gabled buttresses
and encircled by eaves frieze and 4-course deep moulded
Nave and chancel windows are of 2 cinquefoiled lights with
quatrefoils in the head beneath 2-centred hoodmoulds. Apse
windows are of 3 similar lights with traceried heads and
West porch link-unit gives access to the chapel from the
school and externally via a 2-centred north doorway. This
supports octagonal bellcote pierced by a trefoiled opening to
each face, raised on square pedestal with 2-light windows to
three faces, and surmounted by octagonal spirelet with finial.
Further west, an exposed iron girder bellframe supports a
31-bell carillon which is a memorial to the 1914-1918 War.
INTERIOR: 5-bay nave and chancel articulated by tall slim
shafts rising from corbels and supporting hammer beam roof.
Apse, nave and west end are panelled, apse incorporating four
canopied niches. West end has panelled door in moulded
2-centred door arch flanked at outer edges by lancet windows
and glazed cinquefoil in gable apex.
Roof has arch braced hammer beams carry armorial shields at
the beam ends; ceiling is of raking boards.
FITTINGS: altar table flanked by chaplain's and reader's
desks, low communion rail and original benches by F Fraser.
Later seating has traceried pew ends and fronts of slender
wrought iron rails incorporating bosses of various designs.
All exposed surfaces of dado panelling and backs of seats
carry brass plates giving the names of former students.
Original eagle lectern by H Hems of Exeter and wall mounted
pipe organ with crocketed cresting at west end.
STAINED GLASS: apse glass by Morton and Co. of Liverpool
representing the Seven Virtues and based on a design by Sir J
Reynolds for New College, Oxford. From the west the second and
fourth north windows and all south windows have stained glass
by Robert Anning Bell dating from 1897 to 1921. West end
lancets are memorial windows.
Listing NGR: SJ2803777952
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings