This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2605 / 53°15'37"N
Longitude: -3.0295 / 3°1'46"W
OS Eastings: 331419
OS Northings: 374214
OS Grid: SJ314742
Mapcode National: GBR 7Z8Q.XX
Mapcode Global: WH87Z.F9LS
Plus Code: 9C5R7X6C+55
Entry Name: Bishop Wilsons Cottage
Listing Date: 27 December 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475793
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH64
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Little Neston and Burton
Built-Up Area: Burton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Burton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ3174 VILLAGE STREET, Burton Village
794-1/11/7 (North side)
27/12/62 Bishop Wilson's Cottage
Cottage, dairy and cheese room; now house and attached
outbuilding. Early C17, with C19 and C20 alterations. Coursed
red rubble sandstone with thatched roof and brick stack:
outbuilding has slate roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey and attic; 4-bay front: to left,
single-storey 4-window outbuilding at right angles attached to
cottage by means of single-storey open-sided link bay. House
has wide boarded door incorporating glazed light to centre,
beneath gabled half dormer with 2-light window. Other ground
floor windows are 2-light, leaded, horizontal sliding sashes.
To left of centre is gabled dormer with similar window.
INTERIOR: remains of three cruck trusses. Ceiling beam with
large girth ovolo moulds and one end bearing which can only be
described as a mast step. Exposed ceiling joists and an old
HISTORY: birthplace and residence of Robert Wilson, Lord
Bishop of Sodor and Man (consecrated 1697) founder of the
village school, now known as The Old School (qv).
Listing NGR: SJ3141974214
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings