History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bolton School

A Grade II Listed Building in Halliwell, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5798 / 53°34'47"N

Longitude: -2.455 / 2°27'18"W

OS Eastings: 369970

OS Northings: 409346

OS Grid: SD699093

Mapcode National: GBR CW91.9G

Mapcode Global: WH97V.886Y

Entry Name: Bolton School

Listing Date: 26 April 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475947

Location: Bolton, BL1

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Halliwell

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: West Bolton

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD60NE CHORLEY NEW ROAD
797-1/3/53 (South side)
26/04/74 Bolton School

II

School. Central block of 1928, the outer quadrangles added
later (completed in 1965), fulfilling the original plan for
the school. Charles T Adshead, original architect, Bradshaw,
Gass and Hope, architects of later work. Intended for girls as
well as boys from the outset, the school was designed to
contain 2 separate establishments, each occupying half of an
exactly symmetrical building. Red sandstone, well coursed and
squared, with green slate roofs. Tudor style.
PLAN: original block built around 3 sides of a courtyard, with
entrance range and 2 wings to rear, housing main halls at
first-floor level.
EXTERIOR: outer gables of hall ranges are 3 storey with 2
storey embattled canted bay windows with 3-tier mullioned and
transomed leaded lights. These gables are connected to the
central entrance tower by 3-bay ranges with 3-tier mullioned
and transomed windows to principal upper storey, mullioned
windows below. Entrance tower is flanked by octagonal turrets,
and the wide 4-centred archway through to courtyard is
enriched with rosettes etc. Ribbed arcading above the arch and
below the string course of the paired 3-tier mullioned and
transomed leaded windows of the upper storey, with a traceried
niche set between them. 2-light mullioned windows each side of
clock in upper stage. Embattled parapet.
Rear elevation similar, but with central canted bay windows to
ground floor. Symmetrical hall ranges to each side to rear,
the upper storey halls of 8 bays with 3-tier mullioned and
transomed leaded windows, and mullioned windows to ground
floor. Advanced gables over entrances (enriched 4-centred
archways) towards rear, with 3-storey bay beyond, housing
staircase in canted bay projecting from return elevation.
Outer quadrangles are also symmetrically planned, with
cloisters on 2 sides.
South wing in western quadrangle formed part of the first
phase of building; the south wing in the eastern quadrangle
was opened in 1932. Both are 3 storey, and symmetrical about a
central gable in their rear elevations, their style a
stripped-down Tudor.
West and east wings c1940-50. North wings were completed
c1950-60, and are stone faced to the front elevation, brick to
rear. Their front elevations extend the line of the original
block, and represent a simplified interpretation of its style:
outer gables with 2-storey canted bay windows, and 4 wide bays
with plain mullioned windows each side of a central entrance
gable with simple 4-centred archway giving access to
quadrangle. Dining hall of c1950 projects from the east.
INTERIOR: of the original building retains oak wall-panelling,
doors with leaded glazed lights, and ornate imperial
staircases giving access to first-floor halls. Ornate
hammerbeam roofs in each hall.
HISTORY: Bolton School (an old foundation) was originally
established on this site c1900, and the present building was
commissioned following amalgamation with the Bolton High
School for Girls in 1915, under the auspices of Lord
Leverhulme, who was a governor of the school between 1898 and
1925. Choice of architect was the result of a competition in
1919.
(Bolton and District Civic Trust: Buildings of Bolton: Bolton:
1983-).

Listing NGR: SD6997009346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.