This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5763 / 53°34'34"N
Longitude: -2.4479 / 2°26'52"W
OS Eastings: 370438
OS Northings: 408944
OS Grid: SD704089
Mapcode National: GBR CWB2.TR
Mapcode Global: WH97V.CCKQ
Entry Name: Gilnow Mill
Listing Date: 4 November 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388285
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476285
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Halliwell
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: West Bolton
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD70NW SPA ROAD
797-1/4/95 (South side)
04/11/96 Gilnow Mill
Integrated cotton mill. Multi-phase site, originally developed
in 1857 and subsequently expanded. Brick with stone plinth,
slate and flat roofs, and cast-iron and brick arch internal
structure to spinning block, cast-iron columns and timber
beams in weaving sheds, workshop etc.
PLAN: the site comprises a 4-storey spinning block with stair
tower projecting from one angle, and engine house projecting
from centre of front wall. In front of the spinning block, a
long 2-storey office, warehouse and workshop range containing
main entrance to mill. To rear of this range, and alongside
the spinning block to the east, a range of single storey
Further weaving sheds to rear of spinning block. Boiler house,
chimney and ancillary office and gate house buildings also on
the site which has a stone boundary wall with cast-iron
railings incorporating brackets for gas lamps. Possibly all
developed as a single phase, but the spinning mill may have
been substantially rebuilt following a fire in 1868.
EXTERIOR: warehouse/office range: 2 storey, 23-window range to
east of engine house (4-window range to west of engine house
probably contemporary). 2 entrances, the main entrance to mill
towards left in bay articulated by pilasters and with
round-arched Italianate windows over doorway. Office entrance
towards right, flanked by canted bay windows. Original loading
bay to right of office, providing access to rear weaving
sheds. Flat arched painted stone heads to windows, stone
modillion eaves cornice. Main entrance aligns with projecting
stair tower at south-east angle of spinning block.
4-storey spinning mill of 16x10 bays with 6-storey tower with
Italianate detail. Stressed pilasters to angles and
rectangular windows with segmental brick heads. Privy tower
added to north-east corner.
Weaving sheds in angle of spinning block and office range: 11
bays, saw-tooth roofed, with brick external wall divided by
pilasters. Cast-iron columns with foliate capitals and
acanthus brackets to timber beams. 2 bays of weaving sheds or
card-room extensions added to north of spinning mill.
A single range alongside spinning block may be an earlier
range, the others apparently post-date the main weaving area.
Also on site, single storey boiler houses and octagonal
Gate house building alongside rusticated gate piers an
original feature though with later modifications.
Other buildings in the site appear to be C20 additions.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The mill represents a coherent site, developed for integrated
work, and survives almost intact.
(Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit: Greater Manchester
Sites and Monuments Record; Longworth J: The Cotton Mills of
Bolton: Bolton: 1987-; Greater Manchester Archaeological
Journal: Williams MJ: Gilnow Mill, Bolton: An Example of
Detailed Recording: Manchester: 1987-1988).
Listing NGR: SD7043808944
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings