This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.893 / 51°53'34"N
Longitude: -2.0801 / 2°4'48"W
OS Eastings: 394581
OS Northings: 221608
OS Grid: SO945216
Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8WW
Mapcode Global: VH947.WPP5
Plus Code: 9C3VVWV9+6W
Entry Name: Parish Centre for St Philip and St James
Listing Date: 12 March 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1387994
English Heritage Legacy ID: 475990
Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50
Electoral Ward/Division: College
Built-Up Area: Cheltenham
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO9421NE SUFFOLK SQUARE
630-1/18/882 (North East side)
12/03/65 Parish Centre for St Philip and St
Formerly known as: Church of St James SUFFOLK SQUARE.
Church of St James, now parish hall for Church of St Philip
and St James. Begun 1825 to designs of Edward Jenkins,
completed 1830 with advice from JB Papworth; builder, James
Cooke. Site donated by James Fisher, the Square's developer.
Ashlar over brick with concealed roof. Regency Gothic style,
Decorated type tracery.
EXTERIOR: 6-bay aisled nave with buttresses (those to west end
with pinnacles) between 2-light windows with Decorated-type
tracery and hoodmoulds; crenellated parapet. Short angled
sanctuary. Pinnacled west end gable with lower flanking
pinnacled towers. 4-light west window has decorated tracery
with crocketed ogee label and clock over; the pinnacle
buttresses of the west front have chevroned string course.
4-light East window with Decorated-type tracery and hoodmould
with face stops, chamfered sill; between similar 2-light
windows to aisles. Entrances to west end central double
lancet-panelled doors with fanlight; similar smaller
pointed-arched doors to ends.
INTERIOR: retains good galleried interior with arcaded
panelling to balconies and clustered piers supporting Tudor
arches of arcade and iron trusses. Richly carved sanctuary.
Single flat-pitched roof of considerable span on slender
quatrefoil columns with octagonal abaci and Tudor arches,
partly infilled. To rear a narrow-open-well staircase with
stick balusters. Doors have Y-tracery. Monuments by G Lewis of
Cheltenham; also by Peter Hollins of Birmingham, 1855.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the
Earl of Suffolk from the de la Bere's and on which he had
built Suffolk House for his own residence; his daughter later
sold much of the land, on which Suffolk Square now stands.
James Fisher began developing the estate in 1823. Part of a
distinguished group of buildings in Suffolk Square.
(The Buildings of England: Verey D: Gloucestershire: The Vale
and The Forest of Dean: London: 1970-: 128-129; Blake S:
Cheltenham's Churches and Chapels AD 773-1883: Cheltenham:
Listing NGR: SO9458921612
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings