History in Structure

Acton and Attached Area Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8928 / 51°53'34"N

Longitude: -2.0805 / 2°4'49"W

OS Eastings: 394554

OS Northings: 221585

OS Grid: SO945215

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.8TS

Mapcode Global: VH947.WPGB

Plus Code: 9C3VVWV9+4Q

Entry Name: Acton and Attached Area Railings

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387973

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475969

ID on this website: 101387973

Location: Montpellier, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cheltenham

Electoral Ward/Division: College

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in



630-1/18/869 (East side)
12/03/55 No.13
Acton and attached area railings


Villa and attached area railings, now flats. 1825. Probably by
Edward Jenkins. Ashlar over brick with double-pitch slate
roof, stuccoed end and off-centre ridge stacks and iron
PLAN: double-depth with central hallway.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement, 5 first-floor windows. Ashlar
detailing includes: slender Doric pilasters to ends and to
either side of central window; horizontal rustication to
ground floor surmounted by first-floor band with incised
decoration; continuous crowning entablature, blocking course.
First floor central window has tooled architrave and cornice
on consoles; moulded string to second floor, outer bays. 6/6
sashes where original, in plain reveals and with sills.
Basement has 6/6 sashes. Central entrance, flight of 6
roll-edged steps to distyle Ionic porch with entablature,
4-panel door with overlight with margin-lights. Rear retains
6/6 sashes and round-arched 6/6 staircase sash with radial
glazing to head. Left return: 3-window range. Mainly blind
openings. Ground floor has horizontal rustication with
voussoirs over windows. First- and second-floor bands with
incised detailing.
INTERIOR: retains original features including open-well
staircase with alternate stick and embellished rod balusters
and wreathed handrail. Original joinery including panelled
shutters to windows. Plasterwork includes modillion cornice
with paterae to hall. Some marble fireplaces. Otherwise not
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: ground floor windows have individual
balconies with ornate scroll and flower motif. Area railings
have stylized double heart motif; those to rear have scrolled
lozenge motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the
Earl of Suffolk from the de la Bere's, on which he had built
Suffolk House for his own residence; his daughter later sold
much of the land. The developer, James Fisher purchased land
for the Square in 1823. Shown on Merrett's 1834 Map.
All the listed buildings in Suffolk Square form a very
distinguished group.
(Blake S: Notes).

Listing NGR: SO9455421581

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.