History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ireton House (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education) and Attached Balustrade

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8859 / 51°53'9"N

Longitude: -2.0864 / 2°5'10"W

OS Eastings: 394152

OS Northings: 220820

OS Grid: SO941208

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.MBN

Mapcode Global: VH947.SVDM

Plus Code: 9C3VVWP7+9F

Entry Name: Ireton House (Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher Education) and Attached Balustrade

Listing Date: 5 May 1972

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388017

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476014

Location: Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


630-1/26/905 (East side)
05/05/72 No.27
Ireton House (Cheltenham and
Gloucester College of HE) and
attached balustrade
(Formerly Listed as:
Ireton House, St Mary's College)


Villa, now college and attached balustrade. 1843. Stucco over
brick with hipped slate roof and stucco ridge and lateral
stacks; iron balustrade. L-shaped on plan.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on basement and with attic to left return,
5 first-floor windows. Stucco detailing includes first-floor
sill band, all windows have tooled architraves, those to
ground floor with cornices on console brackets. Flight of 7
roll-edged steps to central entrance a 4-panel door with
sidelights and overlight within porch with 2 pairs of fluted
Doric pilasters, architrave, frieze with triglyphs and
metopes, cornice with guttae and blocking course. 1/1 sashes
throughout, taller to ground floor, all in plain reveals and
with sills; blind boxes and Venetian blinds remain to first
floor. Basement windows concealed. Left return retains several
6/6 sashes, including to basement; attic dormer has casement
INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: balustrade to
right has scrolled lozenge motif.
HISTORICAL NOTE: The Park had been laid out by 1833 by its
owner Thomas Billings as an oval tree-lined drive with a
central park which for a short period in the mid-C19 became a
zoological garden. In 1839 the development was bought by
Samuel W Daukes who continued the building. This is one of the
principal developments influenced by White's and Nash's
designs for Regent's Park (1809-11) in London. Originally
known as Malvern House, this villa was occupied in the C19 by
Honl Percy Moreton and Col Archibald Impsey Lovibond. It was
acquired by St Mary's College in 1945.
(Sampson A and Blake S: A Cheltenham Companion: Cheltenham:
1993-: 36,92; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:
1834-; Sampson A: The Historic Buildings of Cheltenham and
Gloucester College: 1991-; Girouard M: The English Town:
1990-: 270-271).

Listing NGR: SO9415320817

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.