This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5591 / 53°33'32"N
Longitude: -2.4234 / 2°25'24"W
OS Eastings: 372047
OS Northings: 407028
OS Grid: SD720070
Mapcode National: GBR CWJ8.4W
Mapcode Global: WH97V.RS5W
Entry Name: The Brooklyn
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476044
Location: Bolton, BL3
Electoral Ward/Division: Harper Green
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Seven Saints, New Bury with Great Lever
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 70 NW,
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now public house. Dated 1859. George Woodhouse,
architect. Brick with stone dressings and graded slate roof.
Gothic style, asymmetrically composed.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Entrance front forms wing of garden
front, with doorway to left of centre, the return gable of the
garden front to its left, Gabled porch with heavy buttressing
and stilted archway sprung from low corbels; foiled 2-light
window over the door, and paired foiled lancets to its right,
in narrow bay terminating in embattled parapet with stone
Parapet stepped up to dormer gable over right-hand bay, which
has wide 4-light mullioned and transomed window to ground
floor, and 3-light mullioned and transomed window above with
foiled central light. Expressed stack to the right, and on the
left hand gable, both with octagonal stone shafts. Garden
front a simpler composition, forming a 3-window range.
Advanced squared bay window to left, with French windows
renewed, and two 2-light mullioned windows to right. Central
oriel window to first floor, and paired foiled mullioned
window to right, with renewed 4-light mullioned window to
Western elevation also asymmetrically composed, forming a
4-window range. Wide gabled return of garden front to right
has mullioned and transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights, and a
recessed bay beyond it has doorway to right (aligned with
front entrance), with foiled lights inset in door, and cusped
trefoiled spandrels. Stepped mullioned and transomed window
above the doorway, and embattled parapet with stone and
wrought-iron fleche. Full-height bay window to left of
doorway, squared to ground floor, and canted above; lower
4-light mullioned and transomed window, with carved stone
mullions each side. Narrow bay with ornately foiled 2-light
window on each floor, and steep gable with fretted
bargeboards, to the left.
Rear elevation comprises 2 asymmetrical gables with a central
tower with embattled parapet and pyramidal roof; dated in
raised lettering with initials 'T.S.W'. beneath the parapet.
Single storey extensions housing services, probably early C20.
INTERIOR: retains some of the original detail, including
Jacobean style plaster ceilings, and the staircase.
(Bolton Journal, 18 July 1885, Pictorial Bolton Series:
Listing NGR: SD7204707028
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings