History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grecian Mills

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Lever, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5669 / 53°34'0"N

Longitude: -2.4294 / 2°25'45"W

OS Eastings: 371658

OS Northings: 407897

OS Grid: SD716078

Mapcode National: GBR CWG6.V2

Mapcode Global: WH97V.NLCW

Entry Name: Grecian Mills

Listing Date: 4 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388097

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476095

Location: Bolton, BL3

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Great Lever

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD70NW LEVER STREET
797-1/4/137 (South side)
04/11/96 Grecian Mills

II

Cotton spinning and doubling works, comprising spinning mill
with separate warehouse, office blocks, doubling sheds in
enclosed site. Multi-phase site, with main spinning mill dated
1845, and extended c1860 and c1920; other buildings variously
dated 1850s-60s.
EXTERIOR AND PLAN: spinning mill of 5 storeys and basement,
L-plan, comprising 2 main phases forming separate working
areas. Rear range (the original mill, dated 1845) to south is
5 storey, 12x5 bays. Original entrance in north-west corner,
giving access to staircase. Datestone over door, and inscribed
pediment ('Grecian Mill') to eaves cornice. Eastern range
(probably a second phase), 11x5 bays. Angles marked by
full-height pilasters, and privy tower to north-east corner.
Loading bay towards left, with partial cast-iron fire escape.
Both phases have tall rectangular windows with flat-arched
stone lintels. North wing c1920, on site of former reservoir.
5 storeys, 6x2 bays, with wide windows divided by a central
cast-iron mullion between pilasters. Cornice above 4th floor,
and heavy pilasters stressing projecting towers at outer
corners. Art Nouveau detailing.
Engine house projects from rear of southern (first phase)
spinning mill: late C19 (and so replacing an earlier engine
house), divided into 5-bays by pilasters, each bay with round
arched window. Alongside the engine house to the north, a 3
storey, 4 bay wing probably originally scutching house (see
West and RW Best), with taking-in doors in gable wall. This
range now linked to main mill building by a C20 block.
Internal construction is of cast-iron columns with plastered
timber beams in the C19 parts of the mill, and thicker
cast-iron columns with steel beams in the C20 extension.
Opposite the engine house, is the boiler house, and alongside
it a 2-storey warehouse and workshop building with loading
doors braced with stone architraves.
Rear of site has long 2-storey range, interrupted by octagonal
chimney (aligned with boiler house and engine house). Part of
this range dated 1868. Internal engine house facing Rigby
Street to west. Later C19 extension of this range, also
2-storey but deeper plan, to north. Buildings to north of
internal engine house formerly stores, to south, a doubling
mill.


To south of site, a further 2-storey range (incomplete) dated
over doorway 1859, and possibly originally offices and
workshops. Doubling shed to rear of this range; further
doubling sheds were located between this building and the main
spinning mill; 5 surviving bays with traces of a further 6
still visible against boundary wall of site.
Two office buildings adjacent to Lever Street entrance. At
right angles to the street, a single storey building with
3-window range to yard, with heavy Italianate detailing. Dated
1869, and formerly the board room and general office. Parallel
to street, a 2-storey 21-window range incorporating arched
former site entrance, and formerly housing stores, warehouse,
packing rooms and office.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The No.1 spinning mill represents an early example of
large-scale mill building in Bolton, and the development of
the site for integrated work is also of considerable interest.
It survives almost intact.
(Greater Manchester Archaeological Unit: Greater Manchester
Sites and Monuments Record; Best W: Plans of the all the
Cotton, Iron and other works in Bolton: 1857-1858; Longworth
J: The Cotton Mills of Bolton: Bolton: 1987-; Plan of Grecian
Mills: c1890).

Listing NGR: SD7165807897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.