This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5997 / 53°35'58"N
Longitude: -2.4313 / 2°25'52"W
OS Eastings: 371557
OS Northings: 411543
OS Grid: SD715115
Mapcode National: GBR CVGT.FB
Mapcode Global: WH97N.MSG8
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388077
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476075
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Crompton
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Astley Bridge St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD71SW HOLLAND STREET
797-1/2/130 (East side)
26/04/74 Church of St Paul
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Paul)
Parish church. 1848, with aisles added in 1869 by J Medland
Taylor. Well coursed and squared stone with slate roofs.
PLAN: west tower and spire, nave with clerestory and 2 aisles;
chancel with flanking chapel and vestry.
EXTERIOR: 4-stage west tower with banded shafts to archway of
west door; plate traceried window over the door, and lancet
window above. Paired deep-splayed bell chamber lights with
clock between them, and brooch spire with lucarnes and
quatrefoil panels. Clasping bays distinct from aisles to north
and south, with simply moulded doorways.
North and south aisles of 7 bays divided by buttresses, with
alternately wide and paired lancet windows. Clerestory divided
into bays as a series of recessed panels by shallow
buttresses, with deep splayed round arched windows with
chevron moulding forming hoodmould and string course. Plain
Foiled lancet window to lady chapel, and plate traceried east
window in chancel, set in segmental archway with billet
moulding. Vestry to south, extended mid C20.
INTERIOR: very wide nave with queen post roof, the tie beam
supported by moulded brackets sprung from wall posts. Arcade
of 7 bays, with banded cylindrical columns on high rectangular
bases, with ring moulded capitals (some enriched) and steep
double chamfered arches. Western-most respond is lower.
Big western gallery clear of north and south walls, with
pierced trefoiled panelling, and coving to canopy over lower
screen separating western bay of nave to form narthex.
Simple moulding to chancel arch, with straight responds.
Arches each side of chancel arch within the nave, leading to
lady chapel to north and vestry to south. Low chancel screen
on steps, white marble with grey marble and gold-leaf mosaic
inlays, probably early C20.
Reredos to altar in similar style. Octagonal stone and marble
pulpit, with Perpendicular style traceried panels.
Steep braced common rafter roof to chancel, and 2-bay arcade
leading to lady chapel to north, with clustered shaft carrying
Wood panelled altar and reredos to lady chapel, probably
c1920. Some late C19 stained glass.
Listing NGR: SD7155711543
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings