History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Crompton, Bolton

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.5826 / 53°34'57"N

Longitude: -2.4276 / 2°25'39"W

OS Eastings: 371788

OS Northings: 409642

OS Grid: SD717096

Mapcode National: GBR CWH0.7G

Mapcode Global: WH97V.P66V

Entry Name: Old Town Hall

Listing Date: 26 April 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388257

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476255

Location: Bolton, BL1

County: Bolton

Electoral Ward/Division: Crompton

Built-Up Area: Bolton

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Bolton

Listing Text


BOLTON

SD7109NE ST GEORGE'S STREET
797-1/14/200 (North side)
26/04/74 Old Town Hall

GV II

Includes: Old Town Hall ALL SAINTS STREET.
Town hall, later library and now museum. 1826. Ashlar with
slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 3-window range to original entrance front
facing St George's Street, divided by pilasters, panelled in
upper sections, and with central pediment. Heavy rusticated
advanced panel surrounding 6-panelled door, with modillion
cornice over. flanking 12-pane windows, and similar windows in
outer bays. Shallow segmental tripartite sash window over
doorway.
5-window return to All Saints Street, with symmetrical 3-bay
section forming immediate return of entrance front, stressed
by full-height pilasters panelled in upper sections; wing
beyond. Present main entrance in centre of return, in portico
with coupled Tuscan piers. Blocking course forms shallow
pediment over entrance. Flanking 12-pane sash windows;
Secondary doorway in wing to left beyond, with blind window to
its right, and 12-pane sash window to left. Upper windows are
8-pane sashes.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the building was the town hall before the
incorporation of the borough and continued in use for
magisterial and police business until 1874. It was converted
for use as a library in 1879.
(Bolton Journal (Pictorial Bolton Series), 8 January 1887:
Bolton; BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth:
1969-).

Listing NGR: SD7178809642

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.