This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5822 / 53°34'55"N
Longitude: -2.4304 / 2°25'49"W
OS Eastings: 371600
OS Northings: 409600
OS Grid: SD716096
Mapcode National: GBR CWG0.ML
Mapcode Global: WH97V.M7V4
Plus Code: 9C5VHHJ9+VR
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476250
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Halliwell
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD7109NE ST GEORGE'S ROAD
797-1/14/195 (North side)
26/04/74 Church of St George
Includes: Church of St George BATH STREET.
Church, now in use as craft centre. 1796 with late C20
alterations. Brick with slate roof and stone dressings. West
tower and single span roof over galleried nave, expressed
externally as 2 storeys; shallow chancel and south chapel
added or rebuilt 1907, by James Simpson.
EXTERIOR: 4 stage tower, with pedimented west doorway with
traceried fanlight; iron-framed ogee window above, and clock
inset in stone. Triple bell-chamber lights beneath segmental
archway in upper stage. Stone parapet with ball finials.
7-bay nave, extended by a single bay to the north-east.
Pedimented over central 4 windows each side. Round arched
windows with margin lights, the window in the north-east
extension in stone architrave. West doors each side, with
diagonal panelling and pedimented cases. Interlace tracery in
Early C20 chancel in flamboyant interpretation of the
classical style; Pedimented feature applied to east wall, with
round arched main window with oculus above, in segmentally
arched recess with elongated voussoirs, and panelled pilasters
each side. Venetian window in each wall of south chapel.
INTERIOR: 7 bays, with galleries to west, north and south.
Wood panelling encasing supporting pillars, and panelled
parapet to galleries. Segmentally arched ceiling, divided into
plaster panels with simple mouldings.
Low stone wall to chancel which is raised up steps flanked by
heavy volutes as balusters.
Coupled piers divide the chancel into 2 bays, expressed by
enriched plasterwork to segmentally arched ceiling. Paired
arches to chapel to south, with organ chamber to north.
Pilasters flank the east window, which has pictorial stained
glass as a private war memorial.
Chancel furniture in Renaissance style, including choir stalls
and ornate high pedestal pulpit with long curved staircase;
altar rails and altar piece with central niche below broken
(BOE: Pevsner N: South Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).
Listing NGR: SD7160009600
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings