This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.6019 / 53°36'6"N
Longitude: -2.4428 / 2°26'33"W
OS Eastings: 370796
OS Northings: 411794
OS Grid: SD707117
Mapcode National: GBR CVCS.YK
Mapcode Global: WH97N.GQ0L
Entry Name: Thornleigh House
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388266
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476264
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Bridge
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Astley Bridge St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD71SW SHARPLES PARK
797-1/2/207 (South side)
26/04/74 Thornleigh House
(Formerly Listed as:
Salesian College, with garden
terrace, steps and balustrade)
House, now in use by Salesian Community. 1868 with extensions
and internal remodelling c1890. Original building by Henry
Stead, architect, for Arthur Lemuel Briggs, a local cotton
magnate. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storey, long entrance front with principal rooms
oriented along it, accessed from entrance hall and rear
corridor. Entrance towards left, in porch with bulbous shafts
to arched door with low-relief stone cupids etc. in spandrels.
Balustraded parapet of porch continues over single storey
extension housing dining room inglenook to the left, with
leaded lights each side of the (now truncated) stack.
Advanced 2-window range immediately to right of doorway with
angle pilasters and paired 3-light mullioned and transomed
windows with leaded lights to ground floor, and 2-pane sash
windows above in stone architraves. Balustraded parapet.
2-window range set back to the right, with 2-pane sash windows
in stone architrave on each floor, and advanced bay beyond
(housing present library), with squared bay window to ground
floor, and 4 windows above in stone architraves with segmental
and triangular pedimented heads. balustraded parapet with
central segmentally pedimented panel carrying coat of arms in
Garden front comprises 2 gables divided by a narrow
single-window range. Advanced right-hand gable has full-height
bow window. Stilted arched brick heads to windows; corbelled
brickwork in gable apex, dentilled brick string courses.
To the rear of this range, the service wing is in a similar
style, which is quite different from that of the entrance
front, suggesting a different (and probably earlier) phase of
INTERIOR: original layout survives almost unaltered, and many
of the rooms contain elements of a rich late C19 decorative
scheme, including the entrance hall with wall panelling and
gilded frieze, ornate low relief timber piers to arcade, and
inglenook fireplace with pent roof and copper fire hood.
Inglenook fireplaces of a similar character also survive in
the library and the dining room.
HISTORY: built as a private residence, the house was acquired
by the Higher Education Committee of the Borough of Bolton in
1907 for use as a hostel for women trainee teachers, and was
bought by the Salesians in 1923.
(Bolton Journal, 26 December 1884, Pictorial Bolton Series,
XXVII: Bolton; D.O'Connor: Golden Jubilee of Thornleigh
College 1925-1975: Bolton: 1975-).
Listing NGR: SD7079611794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings