This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5982 / 53°35'53"N
Longitude: -2.4379 / 2°26'16"W
OS Eastings: 371113
OS Northings: 411384
OS Grid: SD711113
Mapcode National: GBR CVDT.ZV
Mapcode Global: WH97N.JT9D
Entry Name: Chapel at Astley Bridge Cemetery
Listing Date: 11 March 1999
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388032
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476030
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Astley Bridge
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Astley Bridge St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 71 SW
EDEN STREET (South side),
Chapel at Astley Bridge Cemetery
(Formerly Listed as: EDEN STREET Astley Bridge Cemetery Chapel)
Cemetery chapel. 1883, with minor C20 alterations. By J. Simpson, architect for the Astley Bridge Local Board. Thinly-course square sandstone with ashlar dressings, rising from a low chamfered plinth. Coped gables and a slated roof covering, laid to diminishing courses.
PLAN: L-shaped complex, with principal range aligned north east-south west, with lower wing extending north-westwards at the north east end and lower entrance cross range to south west end. Decorated Gothic Revival style.
SOUTH EAST ELEVATION: tall three-bay range with raking ashlar buttresses, ashlar cill band and three, two-light windows with Decorated tracery, the window to the right a tall gabled dormer. Lower gabled cross range to south west end, with wide, pointed-arched doorway set between attached shafts with foliage capitals and below tympanum with foliage decoration. Above, hoodmould with single stop. Vertically-boarded door with decorative strap hinges.
NORTH WEST ELEVATION: lower gabled range to left with two single-light windows and tiny lancet ventilators to gable apex. Tall stone stack with coupled chimneys at junction of the two ranges. To the right, two, two-light windows and steep raking corner buttress. Doorway to cross range at right-hand end with detailing to match that of south east elevation. South west gable with rose window to apex, incorporating quatrefoil lights. Side wall of cross range with tall, two-light gabled dormer to centre and prominent gabled buttresses to ends. North east gable with wide four-light window set above ashlar panel with hood-mould.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: the Astley Bridge Local Board, formed in 1864 established the eight acre cemetery on land purchased from the Eden Trust. Provision was made for separate areas for Anglicans, Dissenters and Catholics but the cemetery Chapel was designed to serve all three denominations. A small, well-detailed and substantially complete cemetery chapel, designed as the centrepiece of a mid C19 cemetery design and intended to serve all Christian denominations within an expanding C19 textile manufacturing community.
Listing NGR: SD7111311384
Other nearby listed buildings