This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5786 / 53°34'42"N
Longitude: -2.4258 / 2°25'32"W
OS Eastings: 371904
OS Northings: 409197
OS Grid: SD719091
Mapcode National: GBR CWH1.MW
Mapcode Global: WH97V.Q91X
Entry Name: 14 and 16, Wood Street
Listing Date: 26 April 1974
Last Amended: 30 April 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388298
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476301
Location: Bolton, BL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Great Lever
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bolton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Bolton-le-Moors St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
Nos.14 AND 16
(Formerly Listed as:
Pair of houses now offices, forming part of a longer terrace
(Nos 18 & 20 Wood Street, qv). c1790. Brick with slate roof,
and slate hung gable.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5-window range. Outer doorways, and
central passage entry. Pedimented case of left hand doorway
renewed, but right-hand door retains pedimented case with
engaged shafts and modillion cornice to pediment. Traceried
fanlight (probably wrought-iron) over door. 4-pane sash window
to its left, and canted bay window to ground floor of No.16.
First-floor windows of No.16 renewed in original openings, but
12-pane sashes survive in upper storey. 4-pane sash windows
throughout in No.14. All windows have flat arched brick heads
and painted stone sills. Moulded eaves cornice, the original
with fluted decoration surviving to No.16, renewed in No.14.
End wall stacks.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: No.16 was the birthplace of William Hesketh Lever,
1st Viscount Leverhulme, in 1851.
Listing NGR: SD7190409197
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings