This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4639 / 51°27'50"N
Longitude: -0.2997 / 0°17'58"W
OS Eastings: 518212
OS Northings: 175253
OS Grid: TQ182752
Mapcode National: GBR 80.F3X
Mapcode Global: VHGR2.RGFM
Entry Name: St Johns Studios
Listing Date: 10 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476329
Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, TW9
District: Richmond upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: North Richmond
Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Richmond
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 1875 CHURCH ROAD
St John's Studios
Parish hall, dated 1911, by Arthur Grove. Now offices and small business units. Built as the parish hall to the church of St.John the Divine, Kew Road. Red brown and pale red brick, in bands, red brick and stone dressings. Tile roofs. Two storeys and basement, comprising main hall, first floor parish room, small hall to rear, stair bay, ground floor offices. West elevation. Symmetrical. Two storeys and basement. Three bays. Central bay breaking forward slightly, picked out in red brick. In the gable, lozenge shaped vent in brick with stone dressings. Below, smaller lozenges in stone with red brick cross. Central doorway reached by stone steps and bridge. Carved stone doorcase with Art Nouveau inspired floral arch. Imposts inscribed ST JOHN'S PARISH HALL. Pair of oak doors panelled below, glazed above, with heavy chamfered glazing bars. Overlight with small rectangular panes. Above, central round headed window with small panes. On both storeys, flanking segmental headed timber mullion and transom windows with small panes. Basement Diocletian windows. Outer gate piers in stone and brick with pair of iron gates with embellished lock. Railings with knob finials to bridge. South elevation. South west porch under hipped tiled roof, brick piers, solid left return with small paned window, forward attached stone piers, dated 1911. Diagonally set tiles forming lintel. Stairbay of one and a half storeys, gable to road, centre breaking forward. Three light casement with deep round edged glazing bars to small panes, above, pivot hung round light. Brick stack . Hall in five unequal bays. Three bays with four top hung lights, outer bays of two lights. Continuous clerestorey lights to three bays. At angles of hall and flanking wings, window set on the diagonal, to east over angled arch. Copper cupola with timber bell stage set on main roof. South east wing round arched doorway with brick dressings, small paned overlight. Tall brick piers with stone band and chamfered cap. Rear hall in three bays, in plain red brick with tile roofs. Timber mullion and transom windows. Rear door under brick arch, stair light above. Interior. Hall in five bays with scissor- braced roof. Gallery on octagonal oak piers with rectangular grid balustrade. Bridge Room: plaster overmantel inscribed St. V 1911, floral frieze above, matching central ceiling vent. Cupboards flanking fireplace and on opposite wall. Ground floor room off entrance lobby, fireplace, mantelshelf and cupboards, replaced tiles. Recessed hand rail to main stair, floral frieze above. Rear stair stick baluster stair, newels with tall knob finials. Door and window furniture, some reused.
Cherry and Pevsner, Buildings of England, London 2: South, 1983, p. 518.
Listing NGR: TQ1821275253
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings