History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Knutsford, Cheshire East

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3031 / 53°18'11"N

Longitude: -2.3729 / 2°22'22"W

OS Eastings: 375247

OS Northings: 378522

OS Grid: SJ752785

Mapcode National: GBR CZW7.2N

Mapcode Global: WH997.J78M

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 18 January 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1388324

English Heritage Legacy ID: 476332

Location: Knutsford, Cheshire East, WA16

County: Cheshire East

Civil Parish: Knutsford

Built-Up Area: Knutsford

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Knutsford St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Knutsford

Listing Text


KNUTSFORD

SJ7478 CHURCH HILL
792-1/3/13 (South East side)
18/01/49 Church of St John the Baptist

GV II*

Parish church. 1741-4. By J Garlive. Chancel 1879 by A
Darbyshire. Brick with stone dressings and slate roof.
PLAN: west tower, galleried nave expressed as 2 storeys,
shallow chancel.
EXTERIOR: 4-stage west tower with west doorway with
round-arched window over, round-arched bell chamber light in
upper stage, and clock below. Modillion brackets to parapet,
which is swept between urns on angles. 2-storeyed nave with
stone plinth, angle quoins and string course, the parapet
alternating solid and balustraded panels. 4 round-arched upper
windows, 3 below, with doorway to SW in pedimented case with
rusticated architrave, and round-arched inner door. Similar NW
doorway. Tripartite window to shallow chancel, which is
flanked to the north by organ chamber possibly a somewhat
later addition, and by late C20 work to the south.
INTERIOR: nave with classical arcade of 4 bays, Tuscan columns
on high bases carrying semicircular arches. Gallery to west,
north and south with wood panelling. High console brackets
articulate squared chancel arch. Low stone wall with cast-iron
rail and integral wood and cast-iron pulpit divides the
chancel. Wood panelling to chancel probably a late C19
addition, a classical style with dado and cornice, divided by
fluted pilasters.
STAINED GLASS: triple window to east, with stained glass of
1861, representing the Baptism of Christ.
Windows in north and south aisles form a series in a similar
Renaissance style depicting Old and New Testament scenes,
dated 1868, 1895, 1919 and 1921 and signed, Heaton Butler and
Bayne.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cheshire: Harmondsworth:
1971-).


Listing NGR: SJ7524778522

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.