This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.325 / 51°19'30"N
Longitude: -0.1014 / 0°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 532388
OS Northings: 160145
OS Grid: TQ323601
Mapcode National: GBR H0.941
Mapcode Global: VHGRS.6Y8M
Entry Name: Kenley Station House (Original 1856 Building)
Listing Date: 10 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388347
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476355
Location: Croydon, London, CR8
Electoral Ward/Division: Kenley
Built-Up Area: Croydon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Kenley All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 36 SW HAYES LANE
Kenley Station House
1005/5/10050 (original 1856 building)
Railway station, now disused. 1856 for the Caterham Railway, architect Richard Whittall, enlarged c.1873. Squared stone with ashlar dressings. Render, tiled roofs. Gothic style. T-shaped plan with projecting porch. The entrance front has a large porch with a very steeply pitched roof on shaped wooden posts, a collar beam supports curved struts. Doorway with a plank door in a 2-centred arch. The porch is flanked by a single stack to the left and a double one to the right.
They project in red brick through the very steeply pitched roof with two diminishing stages and weathered caps. The elevation to the left has blocked windows, but 4 light below and 2 light in the acutely angled gable which has projecting timber bargeboards. The gable is filled by mock timber framing with render infill. Two storey wing to left with ridge stack. The platform elevation is similar to the gable but the wing is single storey with a blocked 4-light
window and steeply pitched roof above. c1873 single storey rendered extension to right with a blocked double sash window and flat roof. The chimney of this section has been demolished.
Interior not inspected.
History: The Caterham Railway was opened in 1856 as a single line from Purley to Caterham and this was the original Kenley station. The line was doubled in 1899 by the South Eastern Railway who had bought the line in 1859. The present station and footbridge were built at the time of doubling. The old station then became the station-master's house but it is now disused.
References: C.Awdry, Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies, Patrick Stephens Limited, 1990, p 181.
C.F.Dendy Marshall, History of the Southern Railway, revised ed. Ian Allan, 1963, p 323.
Jeffrey Spence, Victorian and Edwardian Railways from old Photographs, Batsford, 1975, Plate 63 which shows the very similar but slightly larger old Caterham station complete with small platform canopy.
Nigel Wikeley and John Middleton, Railway Stations Southern Region, Peco Publications, 1971, plate 235, which shows the station with its windows and chimneys complete.
Listing NGR: TQ3238860145
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings