History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Purley Library Including Forecourt Wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Purley, London

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3392 / 51°20'20"N

Longitude: -0.1186 / 0°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 531144

OS Northings: 161688

OS Grid: TQ311616

Mapcode National: GBR G4.JR8

Mapcode Global: VHGRR.WLNR

Entry Name: Purley Library Including Forecourt Wall

Listing Date: 1 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1389315

English Heritage Legacy ID: 487957

Location: Croydon, London, CR8

County: London

District: Croydon

Electoral Ward/Division: Purley

Built-Up Area: Croydon

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Purley Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Wallington

Listing Text


1005/0/10058 BANSTEAD ROAD
01-AUG-01 Purley
Purley Library, including forecourt wa
lling

II

Public Library. Designed by the firm of Gold and Aldridge for Coulsdon and Purley UDC in Moderne style and opened in 1936. Built of brown facing bricks in Flemish bond with Guildstone re-constituted stone dressings with steel-framed windows of Crittall type and hipped pantiled roofs. The front range is divided into a Junior Library to the left and a Reference Library to the left with a central Lending Library to the rear flanked on one side by offices and toilets and on the other by a Local Studies Room. Front range of one storey: six windows. Tall windows with moulded architraves and keystones, the penultimate windows with keystones in the shape of five book spines. Above the central doorcase is a "bas relief" of a boy and girl drinking at the Fountain of Knowledge. Double doors with three panels and cast iron railings. Right side elevation has gable with one window, dedication tablet and ornate blank shield. . To the right is a section of lower elevation with eight top-opening casements and cambered doorcase with double oak doors with fielded panels. . Attached by a round-headed entrance to the right is a section of low boundary walling in brick incorporating two square gatepiers with ramped up parapet and cast iron overthrow with tapering square lamp which encloses a lawn at the front. Interior retains original oak glazed double doors, purpose-built adjustable oak shelving and lettering to the Reference Library. This firm also built libraries at Sanderstead, Coulsdon and Kenley.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


1005/0/10058 BANSTEAD ROAD
01-AUG-01 Purley
Purley Library, including forecourt wa
lling

II

Public Library. Designed by the firm of Gold and Aldridge for Coulsdon and Purley UDC in Moderne style and opened in 1936. Built of brown facing bricks in Flemish bond with Guildstone re-constituted stone dressings with steel-framed windows of Crittall type and hipped pantiled roofs. The front range is divided into a Junior Library to the left and a Reference Library to the left with a central Lending Library to the rear flanked on one side by offices and toilets and on the other by a Local Studies Room. Front range of one storey: six windows. Tall windows with moulded architraves and keystones, the penultimate windows with keystones in the shape of five book spines. Above the central doorcase is a "bas relief" of a boy and girl drinking at the Fountain of Knowledge. Double doors with three panels and cast iron railings. Right side elevation has gable with one window, dedication tablet and ornate blank shield. . To the right is a section of lower elevation with eight top-opening casements and cambered doorcase with double oak doors with fielded panels. . Attached by a round-headed entrance to the right is a section of low boundary walling in brick incorporating two square gatepiers with ramped up parapet and cast iron overthrow with tapering square lamp which encloses a lawn at the front. Interior retains original oak glazed double doors, purpose-built adjustable oak shelving and lettering to the Reference Library. This firm also built libraries at Sanderstead, Coulsdon and Kenley.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.