This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2275 / 53°13'38"N
Longitude: -0.5399 / 0°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 497568
OS Northings: 371040
OS Grid: SK975710
Mapcode National: GBR FMQ.NBB
Mapcode Global: WHGJ5.P43L
Plus Code: 9C5X6FG6+X2
Entry Name: Exchange Arcade
Listing Date: 2 October 1969
Last Amended: 20 December 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485946
Location: Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5
Electoral Ward/Division: Park
Built-Up Area: Lincoln
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Lincoln St Mary-le-Wigford
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
1941-1/12/79 Exchange Arcade
(Formerly Listed as:
former Corn Exchange)
Former Corn Exchange, now shops and public house. West range
1847, by WA Nicholson. East range 1878-80 by Bellamy & Hardy.
Converted mid C20. Ashlar and gault brick, with stone
dressings and slate roofs, that to the west range hipped.
EXTERIOR: west range, Classical Revival style, 2 storeys, 5 x
3 bays. Rusticated basement, string courses, angle pilasters,
modillion cornice. Projecting centre has a 3 bay Corinthian
portico under a pediment, covering three 12-pane sashes with
smaller glazing bar sashes above them. Beyond, on either side,
a 12-pane sash with projecting surround and cornice on
brackets. Below, 3 reglazed round arched openings with
voussoirs. Beyond, single large flat headed doorways. Returns
have three 12-pane sashes with projecting surrounds and
cornices on brackets. Below, on each side, 2 openings, 3 of
East range, 2 storeys, 3 x 5 bays. Rusticated basement,
painted brick, major and minor cornices, coped parapet. Bays
are divided by pilasters. Rounded east end has 3 reglazed
tripartite windows with stone mullions. Below, a central
glazed door with sidelights, flanked by reglazed 3-light
wooden framed cross casements. Curved return angles have a
single light reglazed window and below, a doorway to right and
a reglazed window to left.
Returns have 5 reglazed tripartite windows with stone
mullions. Below, right return has 5 openings to an arcade.
Left return has 5 reglazed 3-light wooden framed cross
INTERIOR not inspected.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 523).
Listing NGR: SK9756871040
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings