This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9803 / 52°58'49"N
Longitude: -0.0239 / 0°1'25"W
OS Eastings: 532772
OS Northings: 344382
OS Grid: TF327443
Mapcode National: GBR JWH.0SZ
Mapcode Global: WHHLQ.LCV1
Plus Code: 9C4XXXJG+4F
Entry Name: Centenary Methodist Church and Attached Church Hall
Listing Date: 14 February 1975
Last Amended: 15 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1388976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486437
Location: Boston, Lincolnshire, PE21
Electoral Ward/Division: Witham
Built-Up Area: Boston
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Boston St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
TF3244SE RED LION STREET
716-1/7/147 (East side)
14/02/75 Centenary Methodist Church and
attached church hall
(Formerly Listed as:
RED LION STREET
Centenary Methodist Church)
Methodist church with ancillary rooms and hall. 1839 by
Stephen Lewin, refronted and altered 1910 by Gordon and Gurton
following a fire in 1909. Portland stone ashlar, Gault brick
with ashlar and stucco dressings, red brick, slate roofs with
stone coped gables.
EXTERIOR: front elevation of 1910 in ashlar, arranged with
tall square towers at each end linked by a convex 2-storey
front. The towers each have a plinth, moulded string course
and 3 plain stone bands to the ground floor stage. The deeply
moulded and dentilled cornices are surmounted by Ionic
lanterns with semicircular arches to each side flanked by
pairs of columns on the angles, and topped by drawn-up Wrenian
domes with ball finial.
At the base of each tower is a deeply recessed central doorway
in moulded stone surround, with large semicircular stone hood
on brackets, with carved roundel in tympanum. Above to each
side a pair of tall slot windows, and to the upper stage a
single window with stone architrave and keystone, with apron
below and pedimented dripmould above.
The convex central section has to the ground floor 4 pairs of
attached Doric columns supporting a plain frieze and cornice,
and above a dentilled cornice and plain parapet with the stone
gable of the pitched roof visible behind. The ground floor has
a central narrow window flanked by pairs of columns, a
recessed door with overlight, and further narrow window
between 2 columns. These openings have moulded shouldered
surrounds with narrow keystones and cornices, the doorways
also with semicircular pediments with carved tympana. The 1st
floor has a thin colonnade with 7 glazed openings between,
with continuous moulded sill and head.
The Gault brick returns of 5 bays divided by brick pilasters
with stucco cornices date from the church of 1839, but with
1910 fenestration. Rendered plinth, moulded cornice, plain
frieze, overhanging eaves. The tall windows have moulded
stucco architraves with segmental heads to the ground floor,
and shouldered heads to 1st floor. To the rear are 2 gabled
link blocks, each with a pair of panelled doors, under a flat
canopy on scrolled brackets, and semicircular-headed window in
moulded surround over and projecting single-storey wings with
leaded casements. Attached to the link blocks are late C19
2-storey red brick parallel ranges containing committee rooms,
library, offices, school hall and stage.
INTERIOR: the church arrangement and fittings date from 1910.
The pews are set out with 2 aisles to form a broad curve at
the front and are all matching with boarded backs. A full
gallery to sides and rear of the church is curved at the rear,
with panelled front, and is supported on slender Doric
From the gallery floor Ionic columns support an elliptical
vaulted ceiling with dentilled and garlanded fruit cornices,
stained glass rooflights and decorative ceiling roundels.
A deeply moulded fibrous plaster arch spans the choir and
organ space with elaborate garlanded frieze and winged
escutcheon at centre.
The central elevated pulpit with semicircular panelled front
has steps up from each side with turned balusters. In front is
a semicircular alter rail. Behind at a higher level is a 3
manual organ by Cousans of Lincoln with carved details. Font,
lectern communion table and chairs are contemporary.
Panel doors and match-boarded dado panelling.
Leaded light windows with stained glass panels in restrained
Art Nouveau style.
The church can seat 1200 and is known locally as the Methodist
The Church has been included in the list since 1975 and the
church hall is now also specifically added.
Listing NGR: TF3277244382
Other nearby listed buildings