This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6282 / 52°37'41"N
Longitude: -1.1382 / 1°8'17"W
OS Eastings: 458430
OS Northings: 303729
OS Grid: SK584037
Mapcode National: GBR FFM.QR
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H67H
Plus Code: 9C4WJVH6+7P
Entry Name: Vicarage to St Andrews Church
Listing Date: 18 January 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389139
English Heritage Legacy ID: 486733
Location: Leicester, LE2
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester The Holy Spirit
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 5803 JARROM STREET
718/9/10149 (Northwest side)
Vicarage to St Andrew's Church
Vicarage. C.1860 with minor C20 alterations. Designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. Orange brick with blue brick and ashlar dressings. Graduated Swithland slate roofs with terracotta ridge pieces and wavy barge-boards. One ridge and one rear wall stack, both truncated. Chamfered brick plinth. 2 storey.
Main front has off-centre projecting gabled wooden porch with chamfered posts and slate roof. Inner pointed arch doorway has orange and blue brick voussoirs and panelled door with linen fold panels. Above, a small 2-light window in a chamfered surround. To right a canted bay window with 3-light cross casement and hipped slate roof, above a gabled through eaves dormer window with cross casement in a pointed arched surround with orange and blue brick voussoirs. To right a slightly projecting gabled wing with 3-light cross casement windows on both floors, both in pointed arched surrounds with orange and blue brick voussoirs. Left return to gabled wing has single cross casement in pointed arc surround with orange and blue brick voussoirs. Set back to left an entrance door in pointed arched surround with 6-panel door, decorative fanlight and beyond a single cross casement to each floor, all in pointed arched surrounds with orange and blue brick voussoirs, the upper window in a gabled through eaves dormer.
North-east front has 3-light cross casement with above a C20 cross casement both in pointed arch surround with orange and blue brick voussoirs, set back to left a lean-to with a C20 casement in a segment-arched surround.
South-west front has 2 gables that to left set slightly forward, both with 3-light cross casements on the ground floor and above a 2-light cross casement to left and a 3-light cross casement to right, both in pointed arched surrounds with orange and blue brick voussoirs.
Rear front has single storey lean-to to right, two 2-light cross casements to the centre, both in segment arched surrounds with orange and blue brick voussoirs and above a single similar window in a pointed arched surround forming through eaves dormer. Beyond a similar large 3-light staircase window with similar segment arched hood.
INTERIOR retains many original features including 6-panelled doors in moulded frames, deep skirting boards, moulded plaster coving and panelled shutters to ground floor windows. Hall way has inner pointed archway leading to stairs. Dog- leg staircase has chamfered square newel posts with small ball finials and chamfered square balusters and a moulded handrail. Simple painted stone Gothic arched fireplaces in most rooms. Service passage has orange Minton tile floor. First floor has canted ceilings in most rooms many with exposed wooden beams supported on stone corbels. Most upper floor rooms also retain original simple painted stone fireplaces.
Listing NGR: SK5843003729
Other nearby listed buildings