This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6307 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -1.1384 / 1°8'18"W
OS Eastings: 458409
OS Northings: 304007
OS Grid: SK584040
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.NV
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.H43L
Entry Name: Former Gateway Boys' School
Listing Date: 5 January 1950
Last Amended: 5 March 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1361021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188788
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Leicester
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/08/2018
SK 5804 SW
RICHMOND STREET (south east side)
Former Gateway Boys' School
(Formerly listed as Gateway Sixth Form College RICHMOND STREET and Gateway Sixth Form College THE NEWARKE, previously listed as The Gatway Boys' School, formerly listed as: RICHMOND STREET, The Gateway Boys' School)
Former town house. c1772, altered early and late C19, converted and extended 1931 by George Nott. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Hipped slate roof. Dentilated ashlar eaves cornice. Rainwater head dated 1772.
Main street front, three storey plus basement with symmetrical five window facade. Central doorway has six fielded panel door with traceried fanlight and wooden door surround with fluted Roman Doric columns, triglyph frieze and open pediment. Either side two glazing bar sashes with raised keystones. Above a large central round arched window in ashlar Gibbs surround with Gothick glazing and either side two glazing bar sashes with raised keystones. Above again a small central segment arched window in ashlar Gibbs surround with either side two small glazing bar sashes also with raised keystones. All windows have moulded stone sills.
Left return has two storey early C19 blank canted addition, with top floor added late C19 with two small plain sashes. South west front remodelled 1931, with Portland stone dressings. Original single window front has ground floor glazing bar sash in moulded ashlar surround with double keystone, linked by a blank panel to round headed window above with Gibbs surround and Gothick glazing. Above again a small segment headed window with Gibbs surround and glazing bar sash, the central keystone links to the eaves cornice which projects slightly. This front is echoed by a similar bay to south east end of this facade. Between three storey and basement front with 13 windows, all with glazing bar sashes, ashlar keystones. Central window has moulded Portland stone surround with keystone surmounted by a coat-of-arms, with linked window above in Gibbs surround, another window with Gibbs surround above again.
INTERIOR retains some original late C18 features including entrance hall with two segmental arches with fluted pilasters, the inner one with a pair of double doors with side lights and fanlight, dentilated coving, doorcases and doors. Left, former Dining Room has original fireplace and early C19 triple arched buffet. Right room has grey marble fireplace, dentilated coving, moulded skirting and dado rail.
First floor retains original plan some coving and doorcases. Second floor has had partition walls removed, but retains original coving.
Listing NGR: SK5840904007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings