This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3667 / 52°21'59"N
Longitude: 1.3745 / 1°22'28"E
OS Eastings: 629835
OS Northings: 279650
OS Grid: TM298796
Mapcode National: GBR WLZ.L9Z
Mapcode Global: VHL9C.SS02
Entry Name: Hill Farmhouse
Listing Date: 7 May 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389462
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488125
Location: Metfield, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP20
District: Mid Suffolk
Civil Parish: Metfield
Built-Up Area: Metfield
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Metfield
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
07-MAY-02 Hill Farmhouse
House. C1500. mid c16 and early C19. Rendered and whitewashed timber-frame with brick service wing and with projecting painted brick porch on south elevation and part rebuilding in painted brick of lower part of east gable end. Pantile roofs. 3-unit plan plus lower service range. Three ranges in all, aligned east-west, gable facing road. Entrance in gabled porch on south side. Seen from here range to right is of mid C16, 3 bays, 2 storeys and attic. Next to left the lower 2-storey 2-bay range of c.1500, and to far left the yet lower single-storey service range of early C19 (indicated on 1839 tithe map). Most windows at present boarded. On gable facing a window on each floor, 2-light in attic, and wider below. On left south side a window each floor and the C20 porch in higher range, then a door with window to right and over in lower range. Window in low service range, and lean-to on left end of this range. North side has door with window to right, another door in central range with a window on each floor to left, and a stable door, window and another door in service range.
INTERIOR is at present without partitions and floors but the cross framing and bridging beams survive together some ceiling joists, and all the wall framing and roofs. The taller mid C16 range has 2 bays plus narrow former stack bay of close-studded framing with external curved braces. Queen-post roof with trusses carried on tie beams and jowled posts with curved braces. Long coupled rafters. In east bay the first floor joists of plain, flat, heavy profile remain, jointed into heavy section bridging beam, adjoining central bay, chamfered on both sides and with large splayed stops. In east gable end above on first floor are 2 blocked square mullioned windows. In central bay a blocked similar window. Narrow west bay of this range formerly housed a stack, which is now removed, but the bridging beam, separating it from the central bay, has evidence of cut out over former opening to hearth. Central c.1500 range of 2 bays has heavy close-studded framing with cranked trenched braces and cambered tie beams and chamfered bridging beam. Floor, now missing, may have been an insertion. West gable closed truss has framing of lighter scantling above tie, otherwise roof is C20 above the ties.
This house retains much good wall framing and cross framing in the c.1500 range, and the larger mid C16 range retains its queen-post roof as well.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings